advertisement

Last Night's Grand Designs.

I like the photo of the "modest family home" that was demolished to make way for the project. Ah yes, just a modest family home with a double garage and about 4 beds with sea views. Very modest. This must be the affordable housing that everyone wants more of.

I like the photo of the "modest family home" that was demolished to make way for the project. Ah yes, just a modest family home with a double garage and about 4 beds with sea views. Very modest. This must be the affordable housing that everyone wants more of.

I saw the beginning of the show and after learning that he paid £1.2Million for the house he planned to knock down I gave up as he was being a dick. When I heard that the bank would not lend the money and he went to a hedge fund for the projects £1.5 million I knew he was a doomed dick

I saw the beginning of the show and after learning that he paid £1.2Million for the house he planned to knock down I gave up as he was being a dick. When I heard that the bank would not lend the money and he went to a hedge fund for the projects £1.5 million I knew he was a doomed dick
Hard to escape that conclusion...made for one of the most eye-widening episodes I've seen.

Poor bloke. Dreaming of his Ibiza party palace but it cost him his wife and his marriage and all his money. What a disastrously shitty position to put yourself in.. and to think, a lick of paint and a 500K spend on the original house and he'd have had a house most of us can only dream of, and his girls, and his wife, and probably a Ferrari or two as well. I felt sorry for the guy for the decisions he made, I really did.

His £300,000 fees architect and structural engineer must feel like they pushed him too far too. All round a horrible situation.

missed this one saw a couple of add's for it and wanted to watch it but,, not to see them fail as i find anyone doing this has balls and dedication, but everyone i have watched seems to get through the building process, pretty much unscathed, and as we all know this is not always the case,

You've really got to feel for the guy having gone through all that over 9 years, spent millions, divorce, and to be left with one shell and another house he's not allowed to live in full time. All that partying must have gone to his head. Shame it didn't work out, would have been amazing.

I saw the beginning of the show and after learning that he paid £1.2Million for the house he planned to knock down I gave up as he was being a dick.
It's not unusual owing to the planning restrictions. Near me, in Ilkley, there is a bank that leads up to Cow and Calf rocks, the houses there have a sensational view across Wharfedale. Needless to say, none of them come cheap, and there was a local millionaire who bought one for the location, pushed it down and built a palace in its place. Needless to say there wasn't anything wrong with the old place, it was doubtless a very nice place. They never have built grubby terraces or run of the mill semis in that bit of Yorkshire. Obviously they won't let you buy and build on an empty bit of Wharfedale so if you want the house of your dreams there and it hasn't already been built then you have to buy an existing house and build what you want on the site.

That's a real shame.

I haven't seen the episode, but get the gist. The artist's renders look fantastic, and even in its unfinished state you can see how good it would look.

A lot of the GDs that I've seen seem to flirt with bankrupcy and underestimate the costs and time required to finish the build.

Budget for twice what you think it will cost, and take twice as long as planned.

Give it twenty years and allow it to get ruined and overgrown and it could look quite good.

Stayed in a house close to that in the summer and it only looks like a Cold War missile silo now.

A little bit of North Korea on the Devon coast.

75cb25f098ce1da47126d80a157b5db482a2ab00.jpeg

The locals said that there have been a few people enquiring to buy it but planning permission was revoked and won't be granted to finish the build now.

I really cannot stand the show, it is just varying degrees of over-entitled dickishness.
Gross over simplification - see the post below yours for an example. There is a fair share of what you say but also some genuinely inspiring projects.

Another one - taken well over 10 years; cost £100k.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.homesandproperty.co.uk/home-garden/interiors/design-news/grand-designs-kevin-mccloud-wowed-by-extraordinary-hobbitstyle-dome-house-on-a-herefordshire-a115186.html?amp

advertisement

Back