advertisement

Laskys Wonderful World Of Audiotronics 1972 price list

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
Currently listed for silly money on eBay but it's a fascinating reminder of the historic prices of hifi gear.

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg2.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg3.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg1.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg4.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg5.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg6.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg7.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg8.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg9.jpg

laskys-hifi-brochure-pg10.jpg

How much were the ESLs on page 19?

Cartridge prices would be interesting too. I remember them being pretty dear. I think that was the time when Japanese kit was very expensive too due to high import tax etc, e.g. Pioneer, Sony, Technics etc.

How much were the ESLs on page 19?

Cartridge prices would be interesting too. I remember them being pretty dear. I think that was the time when Japanese kit was very expensive too due to high import tax etc, e.g. Pioneer, Sony, Technics etc.
Those are the only pages the seller uploaded, unfortunately. The items that caught my eye were the KEF T27 and B110 for £4 and £6.80, respectively.

All this stuff seems remarkably cheap until you factor in inflation, of course. According to the BoE inflation calculator, £4 and £6.80 in 1972 equated to £42.24 and £71.80 in August 2022.

There was a huge Laskys in Glasgow's Buchannan Street and I used to in and drool over all the kit whenever I went to Glasgow

The good 'ol days.

As a teenager I used to catch a train to London a few times a year with a mate to walk down/gawp at Edgeware Road and Tottenham Court Road. All pretty much gone now. Got my first stereo 'system' that way, with a bet that I could do it for £20. Managed it for less than that and got an LP as well!

Everything was so much cheaper back then. Regardless of inflation. A discounted 401 should cost less than £ 500!
And yet production costs should be vastly inferior today.
Something is clearly off.

Odd to see upmarket gear being advertised in something with the same production values as Exchange & Mart. Whatever would Roy Gregory say?

Everything was so much cheaper back then. Regardless of inflation. A discounted 401 should cost less than £ 500!

A lot is supply and demand. Garrard sold 7000 301s or 401s a year. No idea how many SME 30s SME sell, but I’d bet at being able to count them on my fingers. Also factor in the almost total loss of manufacturing capability during Thatcher’s ‘80s. The sort of machine shop you need to use to build stuff has just gone, or at least gone to China.

I defy anyone to make something with as many expensive custom mouldings as say a 301, 401 or 124 in today’s market and with today’s production volumes. The only exception is Technics with the SL-1200, but that has a mass market well beyond two channel hi-fi. Pretty much everything else is very slowly CNC machined from solid as large-scale casting machinery is just so expensive, either that or band-sawn MDF. Very simple and cheap production compared to the injection moulding of the classics.

PS Same applies to speakers etc, really clever complex injection moulding in the pro-audio arena from Genelec, Neumann etc, band-sawn MDF in the home audio market. It is all about numbers, Genelec & Neumann sell enough loudspeakers to justify the huge tooling expense, home audio no longer does.

Amazing that the Zero 100 automatic with rattly "zero tracking error pick up arm" was £47.50 when a 401 could be had for £33, with a lovely SME Series II only another weeks wages away!

Not everything was cheaper, did you see the price of the 7”tv, £42? Richer Sounds are selling a 32” tv today for £120 and I remember buying a 32” Sony about 20 years ago for £1500!

Yes that’s true. Big CRT TV sets were expensive things. I bought my last Loewe € 1000 in 2004 if memory serves.

I think things went a bit pear shaped between '72 and 75 price wise, building HiFiAnswers transmission line monitors I paid almost double for those Kef B139/b110/t27 s from laskys in 75.

Yes that’s true. Big CRT TV sets were expensive things. I bought my last Loewe € 1000 in 2004 if memory serves.

Can’t remember what my last CRT, a Sony KV-21X5U, cost. Likely a good bit more than my current 50” 4K job once inflation adjusted. I’ve still got it, dug it out again after many years of non-use for retro computing with my BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum. It dates from around 98-99 and is a really good TV; early enough to still be 4/3 aspect ratio, but late enough to have Scart, which can take the BBC’s RGB signal. So pleased I didn’t chuck it out! So much better built and more serviceable than the current stuff.

advertisement

Back