advertisement

Laptop recommendation, please ...

NeilK

pfm Member
My daughter is heading to China to do some teaching for a year or so. I'm wanting to purchase a basic but decent laptop for her - it will be internet (via a VPN obvs.) & MS Office use mainly.

I'm not able to spend a fortune on 'high end' but would seek your advice. Thanks.

My daughter is heading to China to do some teaching for a year or so. I'm wanting to purchase a basic but decent laptop for her - it will be internet (via a VPN obvs.) & MS Office use mainly.

I'm not able to spend a fortune on 'high end' but would seek your advice. Thanks.

2nd hand but well looked after MacBook Air or iPad Pro with a keyboard case would be ideal IMO

avoid cheap HP laptops , we have had no end of trouble with them despite being under warrenty . one has cost 50% in repairs after 8 months use

The HP Elitebook series are good, i5 spec with 8GB minimum, otherwise third the Lenovo option.

2nd hand but well looked after MacBook Air or iPad Pro with a keyboard case would be ideal IMO
Whilst I like the Macbook Air and it runs Windows well BUT its the cut down keyboard with missing keys that are really frustrating for a Windows user. Thats why I only use mine as a test bed. If I need it as a Windows machine then I attach a USB Keyboard and mouse in order to stay sane!

If buying a Lenovo (I have 14!) choose a T series model as these are the workhorses and built like a tank. They also have or maybe should have said had the best keyboard of any laptop.

I use the free LibreOffice as a M$ Office replacement. It works well with 'office' documents and so far does everything that is required even quite complex operations. This also works on other OS so you could move to macOS or Linux and still have the same 'office' unlike the Microsoft version. Yes I have Office Professional 2019 (the one that you install) and can't stand it.

Cheers,

DV

Are you worried about it breaking when she is in China? If so check warranty cover abroad if buying used.

Dell have an Outlet discount store - not so much due to COVID but some deals still pop in, bought many friends/family members kit from here. 1 to 5 year warranty available depending on model.
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet

Office 365 Family via Amazon - gives 6 family members 1TB of Cloud Backup and full Office Apps - excellent value around £50 per year.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DRP537A/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I would also go with Lenovo ex corporates from someone like Tier one. Go for the T series (used to stand for Titanium case) much more solid.
I would also recommend Intelligent Servers in Harrogate who give a 3 year warrantyy on all they sell and will support ex corporate laptops on a return basis. With near new ex corporate Lenovos it is also possible to take out corporate on site worldwide service for a reasonable price which would give your daughter peace of mind in China.

Dell Outlet or a good used Lenovo. Cheap Lenovos are awful, avoid them. Dell Inspiron or Latitudes are generally solid. Get a decent screen and backlit keys, especially for prolonged use. Something i5 with 8Gb+ RAM and a 256Gb SSD will be fine.

Thank you so much for the advice, looks very like Lenovo or Dell - the Lenovo refurbs seem pretty good.

Oh, @robs - some of my students, and 'young people' appear to use VPNs without too much difficulty - so there must be a way!

Thank you so much for the advice, looks very like Lenovo or Dell - the Lenovo refurbs seem pretty good.

Oh, @robs - some of my students, and 'young people' appear to use VPNs without too much difficulty - so there must be a way!

I think he means because it'll be in China; they're a touch locked down when it comes to the internet IIRC

I’m completely Mac based but do use Windows laptops in my work and have always found ThinkPads to be robust, reliable and good value for money

Lenovo Latitude or T series if slightly older.

I used a VPN no issues in China but it was just for a week or so, maybe more difficult over longer stay but I am not sure. Worth investigating.

VPNs in China do work, but the government does lock them out regularly. People move to another one.

I'd seriously think (for more than a couple of months) about buying a laptop in China. What does her employer say/offer?

If it makes any difference i always use Open Office, worth a look if you're paying for software.

Never use a laptop, either desktop PC at home or Tablet when out.

advertisement

Back