advertisement

laptop keyboard question

richardg

Admonishtrator
Can you plug a French keyboard into a UK laptop and it works seamlessly, please? No messing with settings every time you plug it in, it just knows you have plugged a French keyboard in.

A keyboard produces scan codes and its up to the operating system to translate these codes into characters (translate tables). Nothing stopping you swapping the key tops around. Note 'tops' not the keys themselves.

Cheers,

DV

Most operating systems allow for multiple language & keyboard layouts, e.g. on the Mac you can set up whatever you want as a setting easily accessible from a drop-down on the top menu, so switching is literally a click away. Windows is just the same, but it is so long since I’ve used it I can’t tell you where it is in W10.

One of my work laptops has an American keyboard. When a German keyboard is plugged in it behaves as if it's an American keyboard.

Willy.

on Win 10, aside from the shortcut recommended above, there's a simple menu right by the time/date in the corner of the screen to change btw languages.

Just add the language in region settings and off you go

You can even use an Apple keyboard if you wish. I do and it works perfectly. Sick of having to type on two or three keys to get @ or À or É. Just silly.

advertisement

Back