advertisement

Laptop into active monitors - ? sq

alan967tiger

pfm Member
Hello
My main system is headphones only; we've no physical space for a hifi with amps and speakers (but that's ok, I've had far too many systems over the years:)).

I occasionally miss not being able to hear music through speakers - in the spare bedroom/my office, I have a windows 10 laptop and I've been looking at Yamaha HS5 active monitors. I've seen other monitors from the likes of Focal and Dynaudio though many of them would be too large to sit on the cabinet where my latop is.

Does anyone have a similar set up and if so, what's the sq like?
Grateful for advice/ experiences.
Thanks

Would that be using the audio 3.5 “headphone” output from the laptop?

If so, I’d have thought a very modest external DAC/pre would be worth considering to improve quite significantly.

Would that be using the audio 3.5 “headphone” output from the laptop?

If so, I’d have thought a very modest external DAC/pre would be worth considering to improve quite significantly.
Yes, I was thinking of using the 3.5mm output with cables terminated in XLRs. You've made a good point re. a modest DAC, thanks!

I’ll second a USB DAC is a worthwhile improvement. I use a Meridian Explorer2 in my office system and it improves things over a 3.5 mm lead.

Best I've had on my desk was a Dragonfly USB DAC into a pair of Meridian M30 active monitors. Ear poppingly splendid setup for less than £300. Shame the M30's had a fault and I had to return them. :-(

I currently have a pair of Fostex 0.4's, but if I were buying new again, I'd go for the M-Audio BX5's - I've heard them and they are far better for around £170 a pair.

+1 for a usb dac. Will be a big improvement and cost peanuts for something plenty good enough and better than the headphone out.
I have jbl lsr305s (now305P) which I would recommend too.

Best I've had on my desk was a Dragonfly USB DAC into a pair of Meridian M30 active monitors. Ear poppingly splendid setup for less than £300. Shame the M30's had a fault and I had to return them. :-(

I currently have a pair of Fostex 0.4's, but if I were buying new again, I'd go for the M-Audio BX5's - I've heard them and they are far better for around £170 a pair.
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies:)
I can see a Dragonfly Red and Black, which one did you have? The BX5s look good and are in budget - how would you connect the DAC to the speakers?
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies:)
I can see a Dragonfly Red and Black, which one did you have? The BX5s look good and are in budget - how would you connect the DAC to the speakers?
Thanks!
My Dragonfly is actually the even older 1.2. Cable is currently a cheap eBay 3.5mm to twin RCA, but I am getting some earth buzzing, so thinking of trying something else. Oddly, the meridian M30's had a variable earthing setting that knocked this out completely.

It’ll work, but it’s quite common to get a significant amount of noise through your speakers (enough to ruin your listening experience). It doesn’t always happen and every Apple laptop I’ve used has been immune, as have some higher end Asus and Lenovo machines I’ve used. A suitably isolated external DAC will fix any such issue if it arises.

My advice would be to decide which speaker is right for you, buy them and if you have any noise issues, take the necessary steps to eliminate them.

An alternative is a Chromecast audio, £30 and the size of a 200g tin of tuna, and active speakers, or passives and one of the modern amps the size of your hand. Even if you live in a caravan you can house that.

Also consider Bluetooth speakers, for normal everyday use they are bloody good.

Depends on how demanding on SQ you are and whether you're using lossy or lossless files.
First up, get a decent programme to handle your music, Foobar, Jriver etc. Make sure these are set up to maximise SQ i.e. at least bypass the Windows junk = ASIO or similar.
Out via USB as already mentioned to a DAC, ideally one that is galvanically isolated. If you still get noise run the laptop by battery when listening.
Then off to your active speakers (or amp + speakers) of choice, not forgetting the possibility of stuffing a subwoofer somewhere.

advertisement

Back