advertisement

Laptop advice

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I have been struggling with my ancient laptop and now looking to buy a replacement.
I need to run Microsoft Office, AutoCAD LT and use the internet of course.
Looking for something that has a small screen and is fast and reliable, ideally no more than £500.

Any help greatly appreciated

Autocad is likely going to dictate specs. I would look up the minimum requirements and then buy a suitable Dell.

Thanks so far chaps - I'm going to drop Autocad from the requirement and use my main PC for that, looks like it could make for an expensive option.

Dell XPS 9370 refurbs pop up on eBay from £500 - 700. I got my XPS 9380 for £700 from the Dell Outlet - virtually same with webcam on top of lid not below. IMO they are the best small/light 13" laptops out there.

Before the XPS I had the HP Folio G1 refurb which was good and cost £530.

Some of the newer silver metallic Dell Inspirons are OK and not too heavy.

Try searching on Laptopsdirect, Dell Outlet UK and Tier1.

Depends how you work but in general AutoCAD wants and we put in, i7 3GHz +, 16GB RAM, SSD and a 2GB Dedicated Vid Card for the normal Architect/Design type guys.

Gus

I would not have thought AutoCad LT would be much of a problem. My work Dell i5 laptop runs the full version of AutoCAD without any issues.

I run autocad, 3dsmax on a Dell alienware laptop. Never played a single game on it ever. And never had a BSOD in five years. Theres bargains to be had as gamers all want latest spec.

I would not have thought AutoCad LT would be much of a problem. My work Dell i5 laptop runs the full version of AutoCAD without any issues.
Totally depends on the user, we have guys that are lightning fast, use loads of fancy features and stress their PC/Vid Card, others that don't stretch their machine at all and would be fine on i3/4GB/SATA/Onborad, don't see BSOD's we get compaints like the x hatching/fills are slow, so go for a spec that should last and can be passed on to a less demanding user in a couple years.

Totally depends on the user, we have guys that are lightning fast, use loads of fancy features and stress their PC/Vid Card, others that don't stretch their machine at all and would be fine on i3/4GB/SATA/Onborad, don't see BSOD's we get compaints like the x hatching/fills are slow, so go for a spec that should last and can be passed on to a less demanding user in a couple years.
Maybe this is correct, as my use does not stretch it much.

My wife works as an architect and on her desktop has Autocad. Her desktop has a mid-upper CPU from about 7 years ago and only 8 GB RAM and Autocad runs fine. She did put in a good video card, though. Just to say that, maybe, these days Autocad is within the possibilities of any decent computer. But it may be different with a laptop....

Did anyone look at my post? The laptop that I pointed to has more than enough grunt for the OP. The NVIDIA QUADRO GPU card is a pro card designed for graphics design and graphics intensive things such video editing and CAD etc. I don't know which model this laptop has but even bottom of range are very good. Why not look it up on t'web?

I might buy a full spec one for myself as its a steal at the price.

Cheers,

DV

Certainly read your post, and no doubt it is powerful enough. I don't think the OP indicated a screen size, just "small." Might 14" not be a bit tight for Autocad? On the other hand the OP did say that Autocad was not a priority.

Someone mentioned tier 1 on another laptop thread and as a result I recently bought a refurb Lenovo X1 carbon:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=153028405928

Really happy with it - light (I am traveling so this was important), fast, years' warranty, and very happy with the condition - I got a Grade B - couple of very light marks on the case and the faintest on the screen which you can only see when it's off. Backlit keys, fingerprint scanner. Later generation i7 than the one Darth linked to, and with an SSD, but also more limited in that you can't add memory or upgrade - it is what it is.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Someone mentioned tier 1 on another laptop thread and as a result I recently bought a refurb Lenovo X1 carbon:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=153028405928

Really happy with it - light (I am traveling so this was important), fast, years' warranty, and very happy with the condition - I got a Grade B - couple of very light marks on the case and the faintest on the screen which you can only see when it's off. Backlit keys, fingerprint scanner. Later generation i7 than the one Darth linked to, and with an SSD, but also more limited in that you can't add memory or upgrade - it is what it is.
It may have been me as I bought one for my son, he is really happy with it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back