advertisement

Lambchop

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hi folks.

I've heard a few people mention this band before, but curiously enough I've fallen into the trap of audiophilia nonsensica before by buying recommendations based upon discussion in audio circles.

I wanted to know what Lambchop are like - good music or barren audiophile fare?

I don't have any means to play .wav or .mp3 files so I can't easily check them out other than buying or borrowing one of their albums.

My musical tastes are fairly varied, so so long as it's decent I'll hopefully get on with it. But if it's 24 bit digitally mastered audiophile gold pressing 180 gram quiex HDCD DVD-Audio SACD FFS etc. pap which ommitted the important ingredient (good toonz) then I'll pass.

if it's decent stuff, where should I start (vinyl preferred)

jtc

Saw that one on vinyl, fifteen quid double album.

Any more info about what to expect? Style of music? Propensity to meander into noodling (a bad thing)? Blandness coefficient? Quality of songs? etc.?

Hey, it's a slow morning, gotta do some research...

jtc

First post on PFM.

Anyway, Lambchop are a great band. Try both 'Is a woman' and 'Nixon'.

Style is what would be described as 'americana' - quiet and contemplative.

I seriously recommend a purchase.

"Is a Woman" is quite good - and I'm not really into that folky-ish laidback North American stuff, but this is pretty cool.

What I was even more impressed with - my double vinyl came with a CD of cover versions, including The Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion and Stones - BackStreet Girl.

Lambchop's take on 80's Goth just has to be heard to be believed - if you can get the "plus CD" version - go for it!

Jonathan

Personally I couldn't be without "Is a woman" it is totally sublime although you may think, on first listening, it is just wallpaper. "Nixon" is wonderful too and a culmination of where they (he) were headed at the time. Before that was "What another man spills" which is a less developed version with more "pop" type tunes, If I can use that word in respect of Lambchop.

Even my wife like "Is a woman"!!

They, also, reveal more as your system improves...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thanks for all that. I've taken the overwhelmingly positive recommendations to mind and ordered both "Is a woman" and "Nixon" on lubberly new vinyl.

Ta,

jtc

And if you enjoy your new Lambchop lps you could always try Norway's St. Thomas next whose latest offering I believe has been produced by some Lambchop fella.

I seem to remember a friend of mine has a double album by them with a man sitting on a chair holding a dog showing his bollocks. Anybody know what LP this is and would it be worth me borrowing it?

Hi there,

I got 'Is a woman' few months ago after all the recommedations
from other forum. Got the special 2CDs, it's a great album, seems very minimal at first, then you will notice how good are all these simple melodies after a few listens. The recording is excellent and spacious. I think I have to say that normally American music, especially country is not my cup of tea. So will tell you how good this album is. Very motional and moody album in my opinion.

I want to find out more on their other album, is 'Nixon' similar to 'Is a woman' or totally difference? I got the singles which remixed by Zero7 (Up with people),it's quite good too.

cheers
Martin

advertisement

Back