advertisement

Lacklustre sound

Hi
Thanks you all for the input.
Anyone got any feedback with the stageline v the rega phono. Not really into black boxes but.. but do they help with the sound....
The cart is properly aligned and I’ll increase the weight to 1.75g.
Thanks

Hi
Thanks you all for the input.
Anyone got any feedback with the stageline v the rega phono. Not really into black boxes but.. but do they help with the sound....
The cart is properly aligned and I’ll increase the weight to 1.75g.
Thanks
The problem is unlikely to be the phono stage, naim 72 is a fine pre-amp.

A few years back I asked Naim if it would be beneficial to use a Stageline instead of the 72's phonostage. It was a short answer - no.

Hi All
Thank you.
I've got a rega wall rack, I'll get the drill out Saturday. The thing is level and at a weight of 1.70g.
Its sitting ontop of the cd5 ontop of a shitty Ikea little cabnet with the rest of the black boxes on the two shelves below....I know..
I'm using Dylans 'Tangled up in Blue' for sound comparison.
CD- Brighter, wider, sharper, clear, more depth/bass and faster, plently of jinlge jangle. One quater of the volume nob.
Rega- Calmer, not the depth more narrow more muddled but easier on the ear....Volume nob at midday

Theres just more with the cd.....cant be right?
I'm a records man myself but I've had to concede that a half-decent CD player can give more of the things you describe than even a good record player. On the other hand a good record player will have its own charms, but it might take a while to appreciate them. Also, Regas in my experience do tend towards a narrow soundstage - although shouldn't sound muddled, so might be set-up, as others have suggested. Or maybe a duff version of the album, and a good version of the CD?

That's the beauty of vinyl, there's lots of ways for it to sound bad.

I could never get on with those Goldring 10XX carts, too dull compared to CD. And tracking is not so good.

I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking its the name of a Hifi store run by someone who really doesn't want fail to meet customers' expectations.

Last edited:
The Stageline is what you've already got, in a box of its own (well, more or less). The m/c plug-in boards could invoke RFI and benefitted from being outboard but I can't think you'd improve a m/m stage from what you have. No idea about the Rega.

I've had a G1042 in my RPM9.1X/EAR 834P/Jadis Orchestra/Harbeth system and thought it very good. Not the last word in delicacy and detail compared to a decent mc cartridge, but certainly not dull or lacklustre when properly set up.

Last edited:
If your P3 has the RB300 that might be a contributor. I always found the RB300 flat and grey sounding. Needed a lively cartridge to balance it out.

Too many great cartridges out ther to be arsing on. If the Goldring cart isn't working then change it because every arm and TT i used mine in it worked perfectly in.

advertisement

Back