advertisement

Labour to abolish independent schools?

Should we abolish independent schools in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Quintuple balls.

are you actually trying to say that every person who can’t pay full fees gets a bursary?

It may hold true at some second rate private school desperate for pupils but I am sure the Chinese and Russians are more than happy to pay the full fees at the schools that secure status.

I don't know the level of bursary discount across the market but i can say from experience that bursaries do exist.

Quintuple balls.

are you actually trying to say that every person who can’t pay full fees gets a bursary?

It may hold true at some second rate private school desperate for pupils

Eton has 1300 pupils.
It offers 250 bursaries.

Your post seems to imply that Eton is second rate.

Also.... where do you think those bursaries come from ?

They can afford to buy a house in an area with good state education.

Ironically those wot have moved into (labour favoured ) school catchment areas have, in many cases, already paid more in property premiums, just to be there (thereby excluding decent non catchment property holders who may be labourites), than the cost of a decent independent education.

And, at same time, unwittingly driven up property prices for those nasty capitalists, keeping many from that ladder.

You couldn’t make it up.

Ask yourself this question.

Why is it in a country as affluent as this that only people who are able pay can get a decent education for their children and secondly why is it the more you pay the better that 'education' is?

Because if it really was just about education then why make it so difficult for the vast majority to have access to a proper one. I'm not knocking the whole comprehensive school system because I'm sure that there are many great schools and thousands of fantastic teachers out there but why is it the exception rather than the rule?

Any evidence/facts for this?

Yes I have put three children through private.

Child 1. State til 8. Then Hockey scholarship, Clifton College resulting in England U21s hockey team. Now tax ayingb NHS physio Cardiff

Child 2. State til 12. Bullying, exclusion. Underperformance. Grandparents plus me made choice to cash in pensions, savings (all tax paid). To put her private. Result. First from Liverpool. Masters from Glasgow (3d visualisation and antatomy). Now: just started technician role with Academy of surgeons and Glasgow Uni.

Child 3. Middling academically median ergo lost in state til year 5. Removed and placed independent with music bursary and family funds. Now thriving.

When you actually have kids, you will (generally) do what you can to give them best chance.

It’s not some dinky left/right idealism politics game.

Quadruple balls.

The average termly independent boarding school fees are now over £11000 per TERM.

Day schools over £6000 per TERM.

So ordinary Joe taxi driver, fishmonger, shop keeper is putting £33000 aside per year to send 1 child to boarding school.

Ordinary backgrounds my arse.

Clueless misinformed response. Ergo ignorant.

Child 1. State til 8. Then Hockey scholarship, Clifton College resulting in England U21s hockey team. Now tax ayingb NHS physio Cardiff

Child 2. State til 12. Bullying, exclusion. Underperformance. Grandparents plus me made choice to cash in pensions, savings (all tax paid). To put her private. Result. First from Liverpool. Masters from Glasgow (3d visualisation and antatomy). Now: just started technician role with Academy of surgeons and Glasgow Uni.

Child 3. Middling academically median ergo lost in state til year 5. Removed and placed independent with music bursary and family funds. Now thriving.

When you actually have kids, you will (generally) do what you can to give them best chance.

So, if enough money is thrown at the talentless, at least the appearance of them possessing some talent may be achieved?

Apologies if it’s been said earlier in the thread, but I’d like to abolish state schools as rich parents can buy their kids a good education, to the detriment of children with less affluent parents, by buying expensive houses in catchment areas with good schools.

Except we want to take ours out. We don't think they are interested enough to warrant the costs.

So, if enough money is thrown at the talentless, at least the appearance of them possessing some talent may be achieved?

I think you need reminding what education for a child should be about, this well known lecture is well worth watching, it’s also very funny.

advertisement

Back