advertisement

Labour to abolish independent schools?

Should we abolish independent schools in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
'A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
Equality I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow
But I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now'

cricket ball? dragged up by hair?????
we used to dream about cricket ball.

Well, the main school 'playground' was on the roof, with railings. You can deduce from this that we didn't really play cricket. The teacher kept the ball in his desk, or walked around the class with it in his pocket.

There is more than one reason for voting Labour in this GE. OK, two - the first being McDonnell's workers' democracy capitalism (which I really like), and this being the second.

One slight worry with his workers participation is how to cope with losses, we have years where we can lose substantial amounts. OK for us as we can extend the overdraft but for some of our employees living week to week that wouldn't be easy.

Dunno. But removing discrimination might be a good place to start.

The only practical interpretation of that that I can envisage is the well-tried Labour one of abolishing excellence and dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator. You'll end up with the brighter kids getting bored and going bad, and commerce and industry hiring bright, hard-working Asian, European and American people who have received decent educations. It's that old chestnut of having races on sports day in which no child is permitted either to win or come last. It is utterly anti-anthropological bullshit.

Lack of discrimination might be that same sports day, but open to every kid in the town of a suitable age, to enter as they wish, or not, and, in the 5 years before the day, every child was allowed to go to the same training sessions and get the same coaching.
Sound familiar? It's a comprehensive system and it would work too if only the Schools and the D of E understood that at some point, at a different point for every child in fact, that norm, the average training open to all, ceases to be good enough because some want to drop out / some to change to a new 'sport' / and some, to pull away more rapidly.
Provide for that, and you have a proper system based on an even start and a diverse (not better, or worse) ending.
And ta da, guess which Schools not only allow for, but encourage that approach?

How do you imagine you will achieve 'equality', or stop people from discriminating in favour of the best/most suitable?

The reality that we can't achieve perfection doesn't mean we can't seek to improve the situation. And a part of the current problems is that discrimination is sometimes used to give preference to those who are (and that which is) NOT actually 'the best' in terms of actual performance. But instead are chosen by a 'badge' which has been gained by other means.

So the *basis* of any 'discrimination' matters.

The only practical interpretation of that that I can envisage is the well-tried Labour one of abolishing excellence and dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator.

Yes, people often "envisage" such things rather than look at the real aims, etc.

My 'straw man detector light' flashed when I read your comment. Perhaps the scope of your ability to "envisage" needs widening a little. :)

Yes, people often "envisage" such things rather than look at the real aims, etc.

My 'straw man detector light' flashed when I read your comment. Perhaps the scope of your ability to "envisage" needs widening a little. :)

I'll stick with the extensive empirical evidence. No straw men there, just men of straw, a bunch of humourless 1970s trotsky throwbacks. That only ever goes one way.

The only practical interpretation of that that I can envisage is the well-tried Labour one of abolishing excellence and dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator. You'll end up with the brighter kids getting bored and going bad, and commerce and industry hiring bright, hard-working Asian, European and American people who have received decent educations. It's that old chestnut of having races on sports day in which no child is permitted either to win or come last. It is utterly anti-anthropological bullshit.

Yep.....

If only it were true..

But then that rarely bothers you.

Exactly.
I’ve never read such media fed shite as he consistently vomits into this forum.

Nonsense. Labour has not tried to abolish excellence or bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator. Your ideas of excellence appear to be enshrined in institutions of privilege and inherited advantage.

If an education system is not designed for everyone, it's not fit for purpose.

If 'excellence' is forbidden to those who cant afford it, it's morally repugnant

Seems someone is a tad crippled in the envisioning department-if only you'd gone to private school just imagine how enlightened your contributions would be...

You'll end up with the brighter kids getting bored and going bad, and commerce and industry hiring bright, hard-working Asian, European and American people who have received decent educations.

I was bright but very lazy. That's grammar schools for you!

advertisement

Back