advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

David Lammy is exceptionally clear in this clip:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1540991059718819840

A "categorical no" - he does not support striking BA workers at Heathrow.

For the record, the workers are asking for the 10% pay cut they took during the pandemic, to keep the show on the road (in the sky?!), to be reversed.

If Labour can't support this most modest of requests, what the hell is it for?

Needless to say, I will give Labour exactly the same amount of support at the next election.

Incidentally, Lammy has "earned" around £40000 for speeches this year, on top of his salary as an MP.

Lammy was hopeless on Sky too. I’ve normally a lot of time for him as he is not afraid to speak truth to Tory racism, but I guess he is crippled by Labour’s Daily Mail/focus-group fence of evasion on everything so had to stick to the script. I very much doubt this was his view, it is coming from the central strategy department that has crippled Labour this century on every gammon tabloid issue. The trade unions need to coordinate and as a block defund the Labour party IMO. They should maybe plough the same money directly into the Greens and PR activism. Just cut Labour out of the picture as they add no value.

Surprised at this from Lammy, is he even in the shadow cabinet? Hard to argue against the BA staff getting their money back.

For the record a lot of companies in the private sector imposed pay reductions during the pandemic, my employer put people back up to full salary pretty quickly & subsequently brought in pay increases.

Lammy was hopeless on Sky too. I’ve normally a lot of time for him as he is not afraid to speak truth to Tory racism, but I guess he is crippled by Labour’s Daily Mail/focus-group fence of evasion on everything so had to stick to the script. I very much doubt this was his view, it is coming from the central strategy department that has crippled Labour this century on every gammon tabloid issue. The trade unions need to coordinate and as a block defund the Labour party IMO. They should maybe plough the same money directly into the Greens and PR activism. Just cut Labour out of the picture as they add no value.
No, this is completely consistent with his politics, such as they are. People overestimate Lammy because he does stand up to racism, and usually seems basically normal.

No, this is completely consistent with his politics, such as they are. People overestimate Lammy because he does stand up to racism, and usually seems basically normal.

You may well be right. The areas I remember him most from are Grenfell, Windrush etc, and more recently Rwanda, where he is remarkably powerful and convincing. IIRC he lost a friend in Grenfell and I remember him in tears in the HoC railing at the Tory cruelty and cost-cutting that led to that catastrophe. He has my full respect and support there, but he was dreadful this morning on workers, unions etc.

A completely unsubstantiated Twitter rumour that a Tory to Lab defection is fairly imminent. I’m amazed Labour take them. The last one was a pretty nasty piece of work as far as I could tell, very gammon.

David Lammy is exceptionally clear in this clip:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1540991059718819840

A "categorical no" - he does not support striking BA workers at Heathrow.

For the record, the workers are asking for the 10% pay cut they took during the pandemic, to keep the show on the road (in the sky?!), to be reversed.

If Labour can't support this most modest of requests, what the hell is it for?

Needless to say, I will give Labour exactly the same amount of support at the next election.

Incidentally, Lammy has "earned" around £40000 for speeches this year, on top of his salary as an MP.

A negotiation is only possible if both sides have cards to hold. What a complete t*sser..

A completely unsubstantiated Twitter rumour that a Tory to Lab defection is fairly imminent. I’m amazed Labour take them. The last one was a pretty nasty piece of work as far as I could tell, very gammon.
Funny that supertanskiii thinks Christian Wakeford's defection was a "moral decision".

The guy was railing against refugees crossing the English Channel and calling the Labour front bench a bunch of ****s just a few weeks before he crossed the floor.

You'd have to be supremely gullible to think he had suddenly seen the light.

Funny that supertanskiii thinks Christian Wakeford's defection was a "moral decision".

The guy was railing against refugees crossing the English Channel and calling the Labour front bench a bunch of ****s just a few weeks before he crossed the floor.

You'd have to be supremely gullible to think he had suddenly seen the light.

Agreed. As you are likely aware by now I have a very, very low opinion of Labour, but I was genuinely surprised they took him. He was UKIP/borderline EDL grade to my eyes and I don’t understand why Labour would make such a laughing stock of any selection process the party should have. No way in hell would I vote for a candidate like that even in a marginal hanging by one vote. May as well take the Tory rapists/sex-pests etc too if it is only about numbers.

Agreed. As you are likely aware by now I have a very, very low opinion of Labour, but I was genuinely surprised they took him. He was UKIP/borderline EDL grade to my eyes and I don’t understand why Labour would make such a laughing stock of any selection process the party should have. No way in hell would I vote for a candidate like that even in a marginal hanging by one vote. May as well take the Tory rapists/sex-pests etc too if it is only about numbers.
I think it is important to recognise that labour is being torn between two horses, one is it’s traditional core values (which need updating) and the other is Tory populism. Tory populism very much has the dominant hand, so we should not be surprised that borderline racists would, to mix metaphors, jump ship. But they are not jumping to an enemy ship, they are jumping to a ship that is closely allied

Astonishingly bad. Just absolutely ****ing hopeless.

“Many of us might want a rise of 10%,” Lammy said. “In truth, most people understand it’s unlikely that you’re going to get that.”
Asked directly if he supported the check-in staff, who are members of Unite, Lammy replied: “No, I don’t. It’s a no. It’s a categorical no.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-airline-staff-pay-dispute-unions-david-lammy

Even the Evil Capitalists at the FT reported that the union is simply asking for cut pay to be reinstated - just as BA management have had their pay reinstated.

The union is demanding that pay be reinstated to its pre-pandemic level, following a 10 per cent cut imposed by BA when the industry was all but shut down by Covid-19 travel restrictions. Management had already had its pay restored in full, Unite said.

https://www.ft.com/content/b47a6907-d002-4204-b2a2-5f2db98ae8e7

I still can’t get my head round Lammy’s stance. Wonder what he will say about the threatened action from Barristers?

Even the Evil Capitalists at the FT reported that the union is simply asking for cut pay to be reinstated - just as BA management have had their pay reinstated.

The FT is consistently way to the left of Labour! It’s probably the UK’s best major paper IMO. Between it and the Guardian anyway. It is the one I’d actually buy if I ever had need for such a thing.

I still can’t get my head round Lammy’s stance. Wonder what he will say about the threatened action from Barristers?

I don't get it either. The affiliated unions must be wondering why they're contributing millions to the party.

The Labour Party was formed out of the trade union movement to give working people their own political voice. The link from the workplace to the party through the affiliated trade unions is what makes it unique to this day. This link is more important than ever as we work together to tackle the urgent problems we face as a country, from stagnating wages to failing public services.

https://labour.org.uk/people/unions/

advertisement

Back