advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

On a more serious note, this is an important postscript to Al Jazeera's four part documentary about the Labour Party in the Corbyn years:

It's highly significant because Martin Forde is a KC, and can't be dismissed as a bitter lefty peddling conspiracy theories.

The most astounding thing Forde says is that just one reporter from a mainstream media outlet has approached him to discuss his report since its publication - and they hadn't even read it.

He has also had zero communication from within the Labour leadership team and senior bureaucracy. Despite him making over 100 recommendations about how to address racism within the party, he has essentially been ignored.

On a more serious note, this is an important postscript to Al Jazeera's four part documentary about the Labour Party in the Corbyn years:

Curious if there is any link to this (Byline Times)? I suspect Labour are so staggeringly dysfunctional and conflicted as an entity the Tories don’t need to control their high-profile plants in the BBC to distort reality, but it is yet another symptom in the systemic failure of UK politics.

Both parties are absolutely unfit for purpose IMO. Utterly toxic, corrupt and self-serving. They are of no use to us.

PS I did watch the AJ doc. I feel exceptionally uneasy watching any news media funded by a vile racist, misogynistic and homophobic dictatorship, but this series does appear to be credible.

On this day 20 years ago, Robin Cook tried to stop the Iraq war. I helped write that historic speech
David Clark

2580.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/17/robin-cook-stop-iraq-war-speech

Curious if there is any link to this (Byline Times)? I suspect Labour are so staggeringly dysfunctional and conflicted as an entity the Tories don’t need to control their high-profile plants in the BBC to distort reality, but it is yet another symptom in the systemic failure of UK politics.

Both parties are absolutely unfit for purpose IMO. Utterly toxic, corrupt and self-serving. They are of no use to us.

PS I did watch the AJ doc. I feel exceptionally uneasy watching any news media funded by a vile racist, misogynistic and homophobic dictatorship, but this series does appear to be credible.
Well, there is that, and I don't wish to whitewash the heinous nature of the Qatari regime.

Still, AJ have covered an important story (one of the biggest political stories of the decade) and their journalism looks rock solid to me.

I'm far more uneasy about the fact that this isn't on the front page of every newspaper in the country.

It tells us a lot about the terrible state of journalism in the UK.

Starmer challenged on promise of ‘zero-tolerance’ on antisemitism and racism
Senior lawyer who carried out inquiry into Labour party’s culture says transparent systems needed to tackle issues

Martin Forde KC, the senior lawyer who carried out an inquiry into the party’s culture, said he has become “irritated” by the phrase, which the Labour leader used last month after the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) lifted the party out of two years of special measures over its past failings on antisemitism.

But Forde told a virtual event organised by Compass on Monday: “We’ve heard it from various politicians, but you can’t implement zero tolerance unless you’re policing things fairly rigorously and you’ve got transparent systems in place.”

A senior left-wing Labour MP said after the event: “If you want to know how your party will treat you in government look at how it treats its members.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-of-zero-tolerance-on-antisemitism-and-racism

I posted this in the ‘rise of the far-right’ thread earlier, but I’ll stick it here too (Sky News). Basically Lee Anderson and similar hateful bigoted far-right gammon get to define the next election as a culture war/trans-panic and Starmer will happily play along. He and his whole party needs to wear this cowardice as a sandwich board.

I posted this in the ‘rise of the far-right’ thread earlier, but I’ll stick it here too (Sky News). Basically Lee Anderson and similar hateful bigoted far-right gammon get to define the next election as a culture war/trans-panic and Starmer will happily play along. He and his whole party needs to wear this cowardice as a sandwich board.

Yes that's just what they're planning

Yes that's just what they're planning

This willing acceptance of these far-right goal posts will lose them a lot of votes. It is a brilliant strategy from the Tories as, unlike the US Republicans, they know they have a cowardly, cuck’d and weak opposition. I’m pretty sure the Democrats will fight far harder for what are fundamental human rights and civil liberties.

Well done Keir, now absolutely no one who believes in LGBTQ+ rights can vote Labour. It is not just that community gone, it is all the rest of us who stand in solidarity with them. A vote for Labour is now in effect a vote for the continued persecution of a highly vulnerable minority group. This can never be acceptable.

With Truss out of the way, Sir Keir spots a gap in the market for who is the true heir of Maggie...

Keir Starmer hails Margaret Thatcher as ‘right’ on crime as he launches Labour’s law and order plan https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...mer-margaret-thatcher-crime-law-b1069391.html
He could have gone back to Hobbes or Locke for inspiration that upholding the rule of law is the first duty of government, rather than seeking approval from the Prime Minister who changed laws to suit particular government purpose.

advertisement

Back