advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

LOL!

Agree with your point upthread Sean. Someone else made the point earlier today that, unlike so much of British public life, football remains a meritocracy and isn't divided along class lines. You don't need money/Eton/Oxbridge etc, just be good at kicking a ball.

I hadn't really considered that before.
It’s not a true meritocracy & is divided by race rather than class especially when said footballers want to step up into management.

I think the "Santa Radio" mug is the original.
Are you sure about that?

If so, I'll happily delete that part of my post. I'd always believed the immigration mug photo was real but I don't want to share doctored images.

It doesn't change the political reality either way - Yvette Cooper was an enthusiastic support of "the hostile environment" before it was cool.

Sadly this is what they have to pander to so hardly surprising they're perma fence sitters

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1634497149051318272
Disagree.

1. Inclusion of the word "illegal" in the survey question is bound to skew the results.

2. Even allowing for that, politicians do not have to pander to xenophobia. The good ones will fight it.

Everyone must take responsibility for their own judgements and actions here. It's not good enough to shrug and say "That's just the way the world is" when grappling with one of the great moral questions of our age.

Yes. The press and media seem to have lost any capacity to speak truth to power, the fact that when truth is spoken, it has to come from footballers is a sad sign of our times

Perhaps Lineker's wealth means he can speak with impunity plus the rules don't apply to him as 1. he is freelance 2. he doesn't work in News & Current Affairs.

But she’ll hold up any old mug….

52740524094_98618c94ed_z.jpg

Further evidence ….

52740270796_3fc98533b1_z.jpg

I reckon that one of the bridges in Norwich - a fine city.

From the BBC Website:

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has weighed in on the Lineker row.

“It is not impartial for BBC to cave in to Tory MPs complaining about Gary Lineker, it’s the opposite of impartial,” he said, while at the Welsh Labour conference in Llandundo.

“They got this one badly wrong and now they’re very, very exposed.”

Starmer said the crux of the issue was that the government had failed with their asylum system and was looking to blame others.

"What they should be doing is standing up, accepting they've broken the asylum system, and telling us what they're going to do to actually fix it, not whingeing on about Gary Lineker."
Spot on from Starmer.

When you’d like to be able to read the room but can’t, until it’s way too late, because you’re a massive authoritarian twunt with no connection to citizens except through focus groups.
When the hard left permanent opposition is unable to acknowledge a positive message from the (hated) Labour party. What’s that about massive authoritarians?

Starmer or Sunak? That’s the choice. Tinora.:)

20 years on, memories of the Iraq war may have faded, but it shaped the diminished UK we know today
John Harris
In 2005, Blair won an election with the support of less than a quarter of the electorate, and Labour’s Commons majority fell from 167 seats to 66. “There is little doubt that historians will look back on the 2005 election as the Iraq election,” said the Guardian. When the SNP defeated Labour in the Scottish elections of 2007 and that country’s politics underwent a watershed change – just as Blair stepped down – it happened partly because the SNP’s then leader, Alex Salmond, had successfully tapped into huge anger about the war, baldly accusing Blair of lying (as one academic study put it, “voter problems with Westminster were responsible, with some dissatisfaction with the performance and leadership of the UK government and also with the issue of Iraq”).

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ar-diminished-uk-2003-public-trust-government

The top priority is that Labour win the next election. As ever, providing the tories and their propaganda machine with as little ammunition as possible to use as a weapon against Labour is the correct way to go. There is a big picture going on that some refuse to recognise or are unable to understand. It is disappointing that some demand Labour shoot themselves in the foot and allow the tories in again but it is what it is.

The tories have a massive majority, it doesn’t matter how Labour/Starmer vote.

Last edited:
The top priority is that Labour win the next election. As ever, providing the tories and their propaganda machine with as little ammunition as possible to use as a weapon against Labour is the correct way to go. There is a big picture going on that some refuse to recognise or are unable to understand it. It is disappointing that some demand Labour shoot themselves in the foot and allow the tories in again but it is what it is.

The tories have a massive majority, it doesn’t matter how Labour/Starmer vote.

So pandering to racists and the far-right is the way to go? How about standing up to this shit and taking a clear stand against it? Isn't that what Labour are supposed to be doing? Isn't that the definition of the word 'opposition'?

advertisement

Back