advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

We discussed this very issue at our WEA Current Affairs class this afternoon. While we were all for scrapping GDP or its variants as a measure of the nations wealth, none of us could come up with an agreed alternative. I'm still thinking about it - any ideas?
Kate Raworth's so-called Doughnut Economics is a smart attempt to plot both human needs and planetary limits at the same time. Here's a 15 minute introductory talk (if that's too long, go to 7 minutes in for the Doughnut):

https://www.ted.com/talks/kate_raworth_a_healthy_economy_should_be_designed_to_thrive_not_grow

Kate Raworth's so-called Doughnut Economics is a smart attempt to plot both human needs and planetary limits at the same time. Here's a 15 minute introductory talk (if that's too long, go to 7 minutes in for the Doughnut):

https://www.ted.com/talks/kate_raworth_a_healthy_economy_should_be_designed_to_thrive_not_grow
Thanks, I was going to suggest that too. Saved me the trouble.

Lots of alternative ways of thinking out there but, hey, only right-wing radicalism is allowed in the UK.

Thanks, I was going to suggest that too. Saved me the trouble.

Lots of alternative ways of thinking out there but, hey, only right-wing radicalism is allowed in the UK.
One of the most pernicious and lasting legacy of Thatcher and Milton Friedman, apart from their immoral economics, is the homily that there is no alternative to their immoral economics.

Mainstream economics is still dominated by worship of Friedman to the extent that some Liberals bristle at any suggestion of alternatives.

But there are alternatives, moral alternatives, alternatives to an economic orthodoxy that has been shown time and time again to have failed during the last half century.

We need alternatives

I was just thinking about companies going bust and the protection of mutiple companies under one umbrella. We'd get much better corporate governance if this country if debts were cascaded around the whole umbrella instead of fobbing off creditors will the vultures pocket the real assets...

Any of our Labour types care to explain the Sam Tarry thing to me? Twitter seems to be exploding on the subject. Sounds like another right-wing land-grab by Starmer, but I’ve no idea if Tarry did anything wrong.

I don't know the back story, but I am struck that not all reports of Tarry's deselection mention that he is Angela Rayner's partner. This story is all about the internal power struggles of the Labour Party, and yet that fact is omitted (e.g. BBC). Go figure.

Any of our Labour types care to explain the Sam Tarry thing to me? Twitter seems to be exploding on the subject. Sounds like another right-wing land-grab by Starmer, but I’ve no idea if Tarry did anything wrong.
He committed the heinous crime of supporting Corbyn.

Frankly, hanging is too good for him.

Not sure I count as a Labour type anymore but happy to give my take...

Tarry has done nothing wrong, apart from being somewhat left-wing. In some ways, it's just local Labour Party memmbers exercising their democratic right to (de)select their general election candidate. I am strongly in favour of internal Labour Party democracy (there should be more of it) so, in that sense, there's nothing to see here.

The factional dispute in Ilford South seems to be especially bitter, but I don't know the ins and outs of it. Tarry claims that there were irregularities in the trigger ballot process and might appeal against this decision. As far as I can tell there is some truth in this, but the irregularities look to be quite minor, and my feeling is that Tarry is clutching at straws.

I don't have strong feelings about Tarry one way or another, but it's sad to see an MP on the left of the party (of which there are very few) get deselected. The new candidate is a strong ally of Wes Streeting, which puts him way on the right of the party.

As usual, it's the hypocrisy I can't stand. Zero MPs were deselected when Corbyn was leader, but the slightest rumour of a deselection process was enough to trigger hysterical headlines in The Guardian about "Stalinist purges". Now, tumbleweeds. Again, to be clear, I support the right of local party members to choose their general election candidates - if it were up to me, reselection would be mandatory (most MPs worth a damn would easily clear the bar).

The one to watch, in my view, is Apsana Begum's reselection process:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mp-apsana-begum-alleges-harassment-from-party
https://novaramedia.com/2022/09/22/...of-me-apsana-begum-on-her-return-to-politics/
https://tribunemag.co.uk/2022/09/apsana-begum-trigger-ballot-reselection-labour-party

She maintains, credibly in my view, that she has been the subject of targeted harassment from the Labour right (with the additional toxic element of an abusive ex-husband). Her trigger ballot process continued, even when she was admitted to hospital with suicidal ideation. In all the time this has been going on, she has heard nothing from Keir Starmer or any other senior Labour Party figure (yet several Tory MPs have expressed their concern). It's a huge stain on the Labour Party, in my view.

Here's a clipping from Private Eye (Twitter) that suggests that Tarry was manoeuvred into place by the left in 2019, when a sexual harassment claim was made against Jas Athwal.

None of this makes the Labour Party look at all healthy.

Likewise I fully support local selection and believe there should never be any ‘safe seats for life’ in any political party. If it is a legitimate local move I support it, but I consider Labour highly untrustworthy so still not sure what to make of it. Also concerned that Zara Sultana looks at risk as she seems very decent.

PS I’ve been following Halima Khan on Twitter since the Al Jazeera ‘Labour Files’ documentary and it appears the party authoritarianism and attempts to silence her is showing absolutely no sign of letting up.

Here's a clipping from Private Eye (Twitter) that suggests that Tarry was manoeuvred into place by the left in 2019, when a sexual harassment claim was made against Jas Athwal.

None of this makes the Labour Party look at all healthy.
Probably written by Nick Cohen, friend of the Labour right and (allegedly) a serial groper of young women.

I don't know the truth of the matter to be honest but dismissing allegations of sexual harassment out of hand, which is what some on the right of the party did, isn't a good look, in my view.

Likewise I fully support local selection and believe there should never be any ‘safe seats for life’ in any political party. If it is a legitimate local move I support it, but I consider Labour highly untrustworthy so still not sure what to make of it. Also concerned that Zara Sultana looks at risk as she seems very decent.

PS I’ve been following Halima Khan on Twitter since the Al Jazeera ‘Labour Files’ documentary and it appears the party authoritarianism and attempts to silence her is showing absolutely no sign of letting up.
The good news is that it looks like Sultana is safe, having won all of her local branch trigger ballots. I think she just needs enough support from the unions now but I suspect that's a formality.

I'm not familiar with Halima Khan's story but look forward to catching up with it after I've submitted my PhD thesis.

Bit of a struggle as it seems I've had COVID for just over a week though.

You will be counting Tory seats on your fingers (possibly of one hand) come the next election.

People have had enough and it's looking like 1997 all over again.

Tory heartlands...

Fe4MFHAWYAEYhv-

advertisement

Back