advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

The Conservatives have pushed through a duty on the water regulator to prioritise growth, which experts have said will incentivise water companies to value their bottom lines over reducing sewage pollution.

Ha! What exactly are water companies supposed to do to 'prioritise growth'? Encourage people to get the hose pipe out more? Install free swimming pools? Import sewage from France?

Growth of what? Algal blooms?

Labour has pledged to halt the decline of British species and protect at least 30% of the land and sea by 2030 if it is elected.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ture-under-threat-and-pledges-to-halt-decline
“That will be a massive task given that the targets are currently off track and the shadow chancellor, Rachel Reeves, is reluctant to make any new spending commitments”
A potential commitment of £28bn to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and kickstart a green economy was watered down earlier this year”

It won’t happen. Any belief in Labour pledges is a triumph of faith over experience.

SNP are in meltdown https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland

Perfect timing for Sir Keir.

Very good chance he is going to win Scotland back for Labour.
The timing is indeed interesting isn’t it. Funny how such a seemingly unified, disciplined unit just imploded the moment their opponents ceased to be a threat to the press, the wealthy etc.

Starmer’s been immensely lucky all round. And, to coin a phrase, the further right he goes the luckier he gets.

I think the re nationalisation of the railways is a good policy; it far from a silver bullet but will be popular. Realistically Labour will need two terms to achieve it & there are lots of potential commercial hurdles; particularly around advertising contracts which generate much money.

Me too. Interesting to see how it works in practice (and interesting that their proposals avoid using the word nationalisation...) but certainly a move in the right direction.

Water companies next please.
I still think we will end up with plenty of private sector involvement, I’m not against any approach that results in a better service. I use the rail system a fair bit & think it is reasonable value if you pre-book. If I’m staying over in a city I rarely drive now due to high cost of parking etc; the train often works out cheaper overall.

Me too. Interesting to see how it works in practice (and interesting that their proposals avoid using the word nationalisation...) but certainly a move in the right direction.

Water companies next please.
I'm afraid it's a con job for supporters. Nothing about railway freight for example, nor dealing with the roscos. It's not going much further than the way a large slice of the network is run currently. I don't think they're even calling it 'nationalisation'

Aren't cloven hooves a symbol of evil temptation?:
mdhrptmayzel.png

I'm afraid it's a con job for supporters. Nothing about railway freight for example, nor dealing with the roscos. It's not going much further than the way a large slice of the network is run currently. I don't think they're even calling it 'nationalisation'
Agreed, the banks will still be charging millions to rent 30yo relics belching filth. I suspect a renationalisation ino, designed to fail. The filthy old trains could have modern, cleaner, diesel engines installed on modified rafts but they have to get approved almost as a new train. Of course, a 40 or even 30 yo design is unlikely to achieve that especially as accidents have shown some stock to offer little protection.

advertisement

Back