advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that you’re wife’s a head teacher, I’d have thought you’d be sat right next to the answer to your own question?
See my post above but you are so much better at explaining things than me. Sorry, must go back to ignoring you. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

What is it about her that makes her such a rising star? Ideally I like MPs & politicians to have some life experience & expertise outside of politics. Her skills appear to have been rejected at the last election but I have nothing against her personally.
Yes, but what is it about her politics that you disagree with so?

I think the whole tier argument/policy is flawed - we're not so bad here so let's keep going etc etc. We've seen the problem in practice as London and the SE went from best to worst, tier 2s bordering tier3s running away etc. We need consistent national policy , tiers are all about sowing division.

I think the whole tier argument/policy is flawed - we're not so bad here so let's keep going etc etc. We've seen the problem in practice as London and the SE went from best to worst, tier 2s bordering tier3s running away etc. We need consistent national policy , tiers are all about sowing division.
By this stage it's not just flawed but bizarre. Makes no sense in term of public health, education or the economy. Probably only makes sense as the result of some kind of Baroque process of negotiation and compromise between different nut-jobs in the cabinet. As I've said ad nauseam, the outcome of all this chaotic dithering, wrangling and incompetence is exactly the same as what they all, at the end of the day, want - which is to do as little as possible and blame someone else. So far that's also happened to coincide with the NHS being run just under capacity, but now, Jesus. Homicidal. And for Keith not to be taking some responsibility and making sensible proposals, with all his f---ing Adult In The Room schtick, he's almost as culpable.

A completely helpless, bankrupt ruling class.

Disappointed by Starmer’s sidestepping of the school issues. I’m set to go back into school tomorrow, a school where you can barely swing a cat around and where staff are regularly spat on etc. You can imagine my reticence. Trying to maintain any from of quality teaching there is nigh on impossible. The first time I caught COVID I was hugely relieved that I didn’t pass it on to vulnerable family members. Might not be so lucky the next time. Not very happy.

A number of Primary schools will not be reopening fully tomorrow due to teachers following union advice. I am not sure if this counts as strike action but members of the brains trust will be along shortly to advise.
For clarity, this is nonsense. Neither of the two biggest teacher trade unions representing the overwhelming majority of teachers has advised teachers not to turn up to work tomorrow

Very much agree with a lot of that, but we must think very carefully about how those pupils taking the brunt of this, of this big kick in their life chances, are not made to suffer more. If we need to take a pause, and those due to take life changing tests of their ability do not do so until some point in the future, that needs very careful planning.

Such forward planning, or thinking, is I fear, very much beyond the capability of our current Sec of State for Education.

PS. Or indeed anyone in the opposition cabinet

Planning when to go to the bog before he pisses himself is probably beyond Williamson. And I agree.. there is little better to choose from in the rest of the bunch..which is why it should be organised by the Civil Service, with minimal interference.
As for the Opposition. I think that they at least might recognise the issues and not immediately dive into lies, or.. God forbid..'outsourcing'.

Yet again Johnson tells us schools are safe.

How many people here on pfm would feel safe going into a school today, tomorrow and the next day.....?

Last edited:
For clarity, this is nonsense. Neither of the two biggest teacher trade unions representing the overwhelming majority of teachers has advised teachers not to turn up to work tomorrow

"The NEU’s advice is that you should decide to advise your head teacher or principal that you will not be attending the workplace but will be available to work remotely from home."

"The NEU’s advice is that you should decide to advise your head teacher or principal that you will not be attending the workplace but will be available to work remotely from home."
Yes. And according to their website 5000 pro forma letters have been downloaded.

The NASUWT advice is more cautious.

Last edited:
Starmer is only capable of demanding things from the government after they’ve briefed that they’re going to do them anyway. Worst opposition leader ever. Jo Swinson-level bad.

Starmer is only capable of demanding things from the government after they’ve briefed that they’re going to do them anyway. Worst opposition leader ever. Jo Swinson-level bad.
To be fair, Swinson never hid the fact that she was a Thatcherite. She didn’t break any pledges. There was never any reason to believe she was anything other than a power hungry Tory. Starmer on the other hand stood on a platform for change and backed it up with 10 pledges. Not sure if he still stands by any of them.

Starmer has incompetence plus a lack of integrity

To be fair, Swinson never hid the fact that she was a Thatcherite. She didn’t break any pledges. There was never any reason to believe she was anything other than a power hungry Tory. Starmer on the other hand stood on a platform for change and backed it up with 10 pledges. Not sure if he still stands by any of them.

Starmer has incompetence plus a lack of integrity
I’d be inclined to cut Johnson more slack than Starmer TBH: you could probably attribute some of Johnson’s incompetence and inaction to being genuinely punch drunk and exhausted. Starmer’s no such excuse, he’s had his trotters up since winning the leadership contest. His inaction and incompetence are deliberate, calculated - some might even say forensic.

I’d be inclined to cut Johnson more slack than Starmer TBH: you could probably attribute some of Johnson’s incompetence and inaction to being genuinely punch drunk and exhausted. Starmer’s no such excuse, he’s had his trotters up since winning the leadership contest. His inaction and incompetence are deliberate, calculated - some might even say forensic.
Yes. I felt cheated and lied to when Clegg broke his pledge on tuition fees. Starmer made 10 pledges and I feel 10 times more cheated and lied to.

His incompetence is one thing, his lies are a deliberate deceit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back