Labour Leader: Keir Starmer III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us not forget the benefits of Brexit:

Longest working week
Highest retirement age
Lowest state pension

Yay! Go Little Brexitland!
Wow, that's quick work - we've only been out of the EU a few weeks! Never realised how much workers depended on the EU for their short working week, low retirement age and high state pension!

Well, this is weird:

https://labourlist.org/2021/01/labo...-on-debt-repayments-for-low-income-countries/
Opposition frontbencher Preet Gill called for the government in April 2020 to push for repayments to be cancelled for low-income countries, allowing them to prioritise investment in their health systems during Covid-19.
But, asked by Left Foot Forward today whether Labour would back calls to cancel the debt of developing countries amid Covid, a spokesperson for Keir Starmer said: “That’s not a policy of the Labour Party… That’s not our policy”.
Here's the LFF article:

https://leftfootforward.org/2021/01...bour-suggests-u-turn-on-pandemic-debt-relief/
The call was made by the Commons’ International Development Committee this week, and was backed by the Lib Dems.

On Tuesday, Liberal Democrat Spokesperson for Foreign Affairs Layla Moran said: “Developing nations are facing a deadly combination of crises caused by the coronavirus pandemic – between increasing food insecurity, stretched medical supplies, disrupted education and more. Cancelling developing countries’ debt would provide much needed relief during this unprecedented time.”
Sounds good to me. Did Starmer's spokesperson forget it was Labour policy or is it an ex-policy?

“There’s some clear blue water between Labour and the Tories...” said Today pointing towards Labour’s call for teachers to be vaccinated.

Better later than never....only took 12 months!

Sir Keir Starmer’s in the Mail today....
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9205283/SIR-KEIR-STARMER-Lets-child-school.html
Let's harness the spirit that has made us the envy of the world

I know some break out in a rash if forced to read the Mail, so please allow me to summarise the article....

Government doing a great job. Boris Johnson is doing a great job. He was a bit nasty to me during the week, but hey, I get it, can we work together? Please, let me join you. I promise to play nicely. I won’t take your toys, I just want to see them. I won’t touch.

Please be my friend Boris. Please

Focus Group Labour is Focus Group Labour. It must be hugely depressing to find large swathes of your voters read such a vile racist paper.

ISTR it being quoted from quite freely on here when it was running stories about Cameron shagging pigs.

One can do that from the safe distance of observing that even the rabid racist right-wing Conservative press are questioning the PM’s history of porcine necrophilia.

Focus Group Labour is Focus Group Labour. It must be hugely depressing to find large swathes of your voters read such a vile racist paper.
Sadly, I think the article shows the Labour Party’s direction of travel. The New Management of the LP is now explicitly to embrace the values and objectives of the Mail.

Mail rules! Getting rid of those lefties and replace them with Mail readers is the path to Power! What could possibly go wrong?

Animal cruelty is animal cruelty regardless of which rag reports it.

Well, there' no proof, or indeed evidence that the story is true (and given it was in the Mail, and that Boris was the supposed source, it probably isn't). But even if it happened, the alleged pig was already dead, so unless you're a vegetarian/vegan, the issue of animal cruelty is irrelevant.

Sir Keir Starmer’s in the Mail today....
Let's harness the spirit that has made us the envy of the world

I know some break out in a rash if forced to read the Mail, so please allow me to summarise the article....

Government doing a great job. Boris Johnson is doing a great job. He was a bit nasty to me during the week, but hey, I get it, can we work together? Please, let me join you. I promise to play nicely. I won’t take your toys, I just want to see them. I won’t touch.

Please be my friend Boris. Please

Let me play Devil's Advocate here. I doubt there's any disagreement across the political spectrum that schools should re-open as soon as safely possible. Starmer is exploring ways in which this could be done. His proposal, in his own words, is that:

'With the extra capacity and new vaccines on the way, we can then use the half-term window to immunise our teachers and school staff, alongside the existing rollout plan.'

Now, is that a good idea, or not? Is it feasible? This isn't a 'political' question, more a logistical one.

What do you think Starmer should be arguing for, as opposed to simply opposing what is currently being done? (If you're simply saying that he shouldn't be using the Mail to argue his case, then fair enough.)

Let me play Devil's Advocate here. I doubt there's any disagreement across the political spectrum that schools should re-open as soon as safely possible. Starmer is exploring ways in which this could be done. His proposal, in his own words, is that:

'With the extra capacity and new vaccines on the way, we can then use the half-term window to immunise our teachers and school staff, alongside the existing rollout plan.'

Now, is that a good idea, or not? Is it feasible? This isn't a 'political' question, more a logistical one.

What do you think Starmer should be arguing for, as opposed to simply opposing what is currently being done? (If you're simply saying that he shouldn't be using the Mail to argue his case, then fair enough.)
More radical mitigation strategies?

Small classes, requisitioning of large empty buildings, recruitment drive, provision for maximising ventilation...Also massive increase in funding to offset the damage already done to the learning of some students: we know that closing schools has intensified existing inequalities. I don’t know, really, that’s off the top of my head. They’ve had nearly a year to think about this and access to a lot of expertise. It would be nice to see some evidence that they’ve given it some thought.

Half days at school at least for high school -- less kids coming into close contact with each other in the corridors. No more school dinners in the hall, they can go home before lunch or come to school after lunch. A good look at what happens on the school bus and at the gates when they arrive and leave.

Thank you.

First of all it was more the general fawning tone of Starmer’s article that rubbed me up the wrong way rather than the content. Having said that it was a rather content free article too.

Yes, he did talk about prioritising teachers for the vaccine, put it was wrapped up in so many ifs and whens it did not really add up to a definitive commitment. Rachael Reeves was on Marr earlier trying to clear up the confusion and it ended with the odious Marr saying that what he was hearing was a policy unravelling. Hard to disagree with him.

Starmer’s problem is that he’s only picking on targets that should be easy to hit, and misses. As soon as he gets push back he falls to pieces because he doesn’t want to be seen to challenge the government.

As to what Starmer should be arguing for, the answer’s simple, it’s his 10 pledges.

First of all, this one

50894408392_abe03a37d2_w.jpg

Second, in Education he should be taking a look at deeper problems rather than just vaccines. In my area we're getting reports of teachers having larger and larger classes of keyworkers and vulnerable children sat in front of them at the same time as they’re supposed to be delivering video lessons. More generally teachers are reporting increased workload and stress. Teacher workload and stress has been and issue for years and is only increasing. This is just one area where Starmer could be showing a commitment to one of his pledges

50894290801_43102814c4_w.jpg
r

To tell where Johnson is most vulnerable you need do no more than look at where his efforts (such as they ever are) are focussed. Not where the media are.

The most effort at the moment is going into frustrating legal and public scrutiny. Russian interference, Priti Patel, Government Contracts. There is an unprecedented amount of public money going into restricting access, blocking reports and kicking enquiries into the long grass to avoid them being relevant by the time they see daylight. Given this is Starmer's territory, I don't mind saying I'm particularly unimpressed having thought he was the best of an admittedly less than ideal group of candidates.

Having said that, whoever was leading would be up against the usual media and press bias, we know that.

What I find more threatening to Labour's chances is that the Tories will have their clothes to some extent. Provided they don't snatch defeat from future vaccinatuon problems Sunak will be financing significant public investment in infrastructure - why wouldn't he? Interest rates are low, there is no sign of even a medium term threat to that. Yes Labour would have been slaughtered for doing the same (bankrupting the next generation, spending money like water ..yada yada) but having pinched UKIP's clothes on Brexit and taken Labour's socially conservative vote with that, I can see them doing the same with public economics.

Of course it will be cronies and funders that really reap more rewards but where does that leave Labour - "they will spend but we will spend more?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back