advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a big logistical problems around for example having to have spilt timetables to enable split lunches and breaks to ease general madness. Also, if bubbles are to be used in schools they will also need to be in place on school buses.

There’s a side of me, maybe a mad side of me, which would like to be in school in September - dealing with this logistical mayhem and finding a way to inspire a class of kids from the front wearing a mask. It’ll be exciting, the most exciting time in schools ever. I’m slightly jealous of lordsummit.

You see, I really am a glass half full person.

To be fair, I favour the kids to go back to school and parents back at work. The alternate reality for many of us we’ll be homeless and bankrupt. Eventually if my employer is unable to sell my services to schools I’ll be up the proverbial creek without a scrap of toilet paper, never mind a paddle. This is the balancing act that many of our retired or approaching end of career members seem to forget about. I work for an LA so couldn’t be furloughed. There are millions like me staring ruin in the face. At some point in time we’re going to have to live with the virus.

The modellers are very clear, there has to be a poven, effective test and trace system in place prior to kids going back to school. Im my view they're already out of time and the first half term should be at home.

Does anyone agree with you about that?

I was talking to my daughter's friend's mum just the other day. She's a teacher and she certainly did - she's petrified. Teachers know the separation into bubbles is full of holes i.e. siblings, school transport, meeting up out of school, no masks for either kids or teachers etc etc. I don't think people have put two and two together but it's the staff who will likely be the victims and the spreaders.

I don’t see how it can be safe. By saying that I don’t see how any role in an enclosed space with potentially infected humans can be safe. I see no difference logically between a school and say a bus, train, hospital or carehome. Staff in all these roles are dying.

PS I’d also suggest that if Julia Hartley-Brewer, Sarah Vine and the rest of the hard right-wing tabloid gobshites are arguing for something one should always think/do the exact reverse. They are a barometer of wrongness in all things.

Because every Tom, Dick and Harry went to school, everybody thinks that they know all about it.

Neil Ferguson was on the Today programme earlier he said:

"The risk then is that big schools, comprehensives, universities, FE [further education] colleges link lots of households together, reconnect the social network, which social distancing measures have deliberately disconnected. And that poses a real risk of amplification of transmission, of case numbers going up quite sharply."

In terms of transmission, teenagers should be regarded as adults.

He thinks the R number will double and there will be no normality until spring (at the earliest)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...number-rise-if-secondary-schools-fully-reopen

I was taking to my daughter's friend's mum just the other day. She's a teacher and she certainly did - she's petrified. Teachers know the separation into bubbles is full of holes i.e. siblings, school transport, meeting up out of school, no masks for either kids or teachers etc etc. I don't think people have put two and two together but it's the staff who will likely be the victims and the spreaders.

If she's working in secondary she's right to be concerned.

I think primary schools are probably OK if they rosta the kids, 2 days one week, 3 days the next kind of thing. My other half & her staff seem pretty secure in this.

Teenagers generally have a bigger social circle & take more risks.

My son has returned to his university city as he has moved into a new house; I have mixed feelings about this but he is pretty sensible.

Interesting to recall just how popular Corbyn’s Labour were before they capitulated with Farage, Yaxley Lennon and their own similarly vile gammon (now shovelled en masse into the HoL by grateful Tories) on Brexit. What an epic failure that was!

Interesting to recall just how popular Corbyn’s Labour were before they capitulated with Farage, Yaxley Lennon and their own similarly vile gammon (now shovelled en masse into the HoL by grateful Tories) on Brexit. What an epic failure that was!
Now who’s being mischievous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back