advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starmer was just on Sophie Ridge’s Sky show. He really is disappointing with exactly the same fence-sitting and refusal to challenge anything that typifies the party these days. “New Leadership” apparently involves throwing Corbyn under the bus for anti-semitism but adopting all the capitulation and moral cowardice when it comes to Brexit etc. It involves taking no firm position on any subject. I was genuinely surprised by how bad he was. I can’t see how any faction within the party, left or right, let alone floating or new voters would have been satisfied by what was on display. Can we have Ed Miliband back please?!

PS Minister Of Unnecessary Deaths Matt Hancock is on now likening grouse shooting to cricket, football and other organised sport...

From breaking international law, to dodging parliamentary scrutiny and wasting public money, most of the opposition to the Tory party is coming from within the Tory Party rather than from the Opposition

From breaking international law, to dodging parliamentary scrutiny and wasting public money, most of the opposition to the Tory party is coming from within the Tory Party rather than from the Opposition

The sad thing is, whoever the party is, that resonates more than critique from predictable sources. People lose elections, they never win them.

I’m now watching the Marr Starmer interview a little delayed due to watching Sophie Ridge first. 100% evasion/deflection. He won’t even commit to progressive taxation post-covid FFS!

Can someone please explain to me what the hell the Labour Party is actually for? What is its purpose? A so called political party appearing on TV and taking no moral or ideological standpoint on any topic is just the worst kind of evasive careerist trough-feeding bullshit entitlement I can picture. We desperately need an opposition party in this country, more so now than at any time I can remember. As ever Labour are AWOL. They are nowhere to be seen.

Ah yes, the ‘habit’ of creating the NHS, social care, free education etc. We’ll be needing none of that.

I turned off the television after watching Starmer being interviewed by Andrew Marr. Five minutes was enough, I didn't want to hear any more. What sticks in my head is Starmer saying "Yes we'll support the goverment" and "Yes we'll support the goverment."

I don't give a monkey's that Labour are now level with the Tories in terms of the latest YouGov poll. We need a revolution and I won't vote for a party that keeps licking Johnson's backside.

Jack

I’m now watching the Marr Starmer interview a little delayed due to watching Sophie Ridge first. 100% evasion/deflection. He won’t even commit to progressive taxation post-covid FFS!

Can someone please explain to me what the hell the Labour Party is actually for? What is its purpose? A so called political party appearing on TV and taking no moral or ideological standpoint on any topic is just the worst kind of evasive careerist trough-feeding bullshit entitlement I can picture. We desperately need an opposition party in this country, more so now than at any time I can remember. As ever Labour are AWOL. They are nowhere to be seen.
Its purpose for much of its history has been to act as the Tories’ B-team, and after a brief interruption it seems we’re back to business as usual.

That or -still a vague hope - they realise that without keeping the idiot centrist pundit community happy, along with the small but very noisy constituency that they represent, Starmer will be monstered in exactly the same way as Corbyn was.

I think this is why it’s so important to concentrate on stitching Corbyn up for antisemitism. The only way these people were able to justify helping Johnson into office was to pretend to believe that Corbyn was a racist. The worse Johnson’s government gets, the harder they’re going to have to lean on that calumny, the stupid selfish bastards.

A so called political party appearing on TV and taking no moral or ideological standpoint on any topic is just the worst kind of evasive careerist trough-feeding bullshit entitlement I can picture.

As I see this as a cautionary new leader having to tip toe through a media mine field.

The government is amoral and will exploit any chance it gets against the opposition with the help of a willingness RW MSM.

I am guessing Sir Starmer will give as little info as he can to protect himself and the party against overwhelming odds hoping the tories collapse.

It has already started to crumble as the daily flail, torygraph, scum et all are turning on the tories and de truffle as total incompetence.

I am going to sound off a bit on the RBG thread now, duck n cover. :)

Its purpose for much of its history has been to act as the Tories’ B-team, and after a brief interruption it seems we’re back to business as usual.

That or -still a vague hope - they realise that without keeping the idiot centrist pundit community happy, along with the small but very noisy constituency that they represent, Starmer will be monstered in exactly the same way as Corbyn was.

I think this is why it’s so important to concentrate on stitching Corbyn up for antisemitism. The only way these people were able to justify helping Johnson into office was to pretend to believe that Corbyn was a racist. The worse Johnson’s government gets, the harder they’re going to have to lean on that calumny, the stupid selfish bastards.
I understand the strategy of "staying small": saying as little as possible so you can't be attacked for it, and hoping to win by default at the next election. So far it seems to be working, although I'm not convinced it will be enough. What bothers me more is that the few positive signals Starmer has emitted ("forces, flag, family",basically) are so deeply conservative. It looks like Milliband 2.0, and we all know how well that worked out.

I understand the strategy of "staying small": saying as little as possible so you can't be attacked for it, and hoping to win by default at the next election. So far it seems to be working, although I'm not convinced it will be enough.

It just highlights the absolute systemic failure that is FPTP. A perfect example of establishment rule; a system so fundamentally broken and irrelevant power can be assumed without ideology, conviction, policy or mandate. It can be achieved ‘by default’ with nothing more than evasion and deflection.

I understand the strategy of "staying small": saying as little as possible so you can't be attacked for it, and hoping to win by default at the next election. So far it seems to be working, although I'm not convinced it will be enough. What bothers me more is that the few positive signals Starmer has emitted ("forces, flag, family",basically) are so deeply conservative. It looks like Milliband 2.0, and we all know how well that worked out.
Yes, I’ve no real hope that this is temporary, because of the terrible people he’s surrounded himself with: they actually mean all this stuff, they’ve been pushing it for years, completely unmodified. They’re the last people in the world to suddenly turn around, once in office, and say “Actually it was all a ruse: we don’t really think the British people are intrinsically stupid and racist! We think they’ll actually welcome the kind of economic radicalism we’ve devoted our entire careers to suppressing!”

It just highlights the absolute systemic failure that is FPTP. A perfect example of establishment rule; a system so fundamentally broken and irrelevant power can be assumed without ideology, conviction, policy or mandate. It can be achieved ‘by default’ with nothing more than evasion and deflection.
Yes, good point. An analogous argument against PR is that it favours a middle-ground mush, and blocks significant change to the status quo. If significant change is needed, this is a real drawback. However, all things considered, it's a risk I'm willing to take right now.

Compare the quality of most European governments who have a PR system to the quality of the UK and US governments. Pretty good argument for PR I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back