Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes. There still seems a lot of support for Johnson despite his admission that the deal he himself negotiated and then promised would take back control actually gives control away, instead of opening up trade with the rest of the world restricts trade with Northern Ireland and rather than solving the problem of the Northern Ireland border makes it a whole heap worse.

To continue to support someone who by their own admission is responsible for making a deal damaging to the interests of the UK, shows the utter muddleheadedness that has informed Brexit all along

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    kendo, Nick_G, PsB and 4 others like this.
  2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Xenaphobia trumps all.

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

FIFY

ff1d1l likes this.
  4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

If there’s one thing the last 6 months has shown us it’s that universal access to a high quality internet connection is a completely unnecessary luxury.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Hindsight etc but fair point. It didn’t come across as credible at the time & that is all that mattered.

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

C4 last night was devoted to the environment, how species loss has an effect on the transmission of viruses and the part education has in our understanding of those connections.

Labour’s responses to the environment and education have been very muted. I can’t help feeling that a more positive response would’ve reaped dividends, and that Rebecca Long Bailey would’ve provided that response. But then being vocal about her expertise in education and the environment, rather than the accusation of antisemitism, was why likely why she was sacked in the first place.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

C4 News was excellent last night. We could do with a thread on the US fires, which are just beyond belief.

PS FWIW I still feel Labour are finished and we need a major left of centre green movement to fill the void/vacuum. If there was any logic in UK politics Labour, Greens, Lib Dems and Plaid would all merge under a whole new brand such as Green Democratic Party or something. Just a sensible sellable progressive green and democratic (PR) agenda. A clear alternative to the destructive hard right-wing nationalism/fascism that is currently so dominant.

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

Well, we're all ****ed then, so we may as well have fun before the planet dies...

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes. It looks like the right wingers in the Labour Party are back in control and the again the real power that determines policy that appears aimed at appeasing the 1% first and foremost.

Agree 100% that what we need is a left of centre green coalition.

10. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Thanks for the apology, I appreciate it.

I voted Labour, with reservations, in 2015. Given FPTP, Labour was (and remains) the only party, other than the Conservatives, capable of forming a government. A clear case of the lesser of two evils, however unsatisfactory. Likewise I would take Biden over Trump - he's rubbish and unlikely to change anything much but he's not fascist scum like Trump.

Weekender likes this.
  11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Is it finally time to Get Brexit Done?

[​IMG]

Yes, these are official Labour Party adverts on social media.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

Sea turtle says ‘hi’ to Labour.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Quite clever that

14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

It will be interesting to see who was against Corbyn because they really thought he was a gammon-loving secret Brexiter, and who was just against Corbyn.

15. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

According to an internal email received today...“a conference held this week by the NEC (Labour’s governing body), said that Labour needs to break “the habit” of public spending”.

I haven’t been able to corroborate this email, but if true, shouldn’t it be a worry for the left, right and centre of the Labour Party?

gavreid likes this.
  16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

This presumably can be done now that Labour has 'broken the habit' of being a left wing party, or indeed, an effective opposition party.

17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, but of the two, I find the lack of an effective opposition the more worrying of the two possibilities

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed, that will actually prove rather interesting, though I’d have thought most who were against generally rather than just his capitulation to ethnic nationalism and xenophobia were firmly in that pro-Brexit camp. Those opposed to Brexit should still be so as it is now clearer than ever it will be a disaster for the UK, as such I’d not expect them to pull in behind this new messaging.

19. Cav

Cav pfm Member

You keep saying this despite the fact that Labour is still the second major party and will remain so until this mythical "new brand such as Green Democratic Party or something" appears out of the ether. Repeating your discontent about a Party you don't/would not vote for is pointless.

20. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It's legit. It relates to a "Labour to Win" (an amalgamation of factions on the right of the party) event last week, covered here:

https://labourlist.org/2020/09/brid...rategy-for-creating-social-democracy-of-hope/
    A complete lack of political vision from these people, even after the massive upheaval of the coronavirus pandemic.

gavreid and ks.234 like this.