advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly,yes. Just hoping he is booted out in the next election and it bring an end to this ludicrous, callous experiment!

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was as well, I don’t think he likes all this “work”, “thinking” and “facts”.

I think the questions at the next election will be very different ones. We have the clusterfuck that is Covid, and still got Brexit to come. Let’s see where we are in 12 months time, I have a feeling that the good residents of northern towns like mine who voted for their Conservatives for the first time ever might be starting to have a little buyers remorse...
I hope you’re right, but the quotes I hear on the radio from northern towns are generally still supportive of Boris while Sunak is riding high in the polls. This chimes with what I hear from my ‘man in the pub’ down here. Johnson remains popular despite, or maybe because of, his bumbling and lies.

I fear that the Labour tactic of sitting back and doing nothing while we wait for the Tories to trip up or the voters to wake up is going to be doomed to failure

Not so sure the shift in the Tory party is down to the unknown unknown that is Covid. The Tories indicated a change of tack to turn the red wall a permanent blue just after the election. It seems to me that the Tories know they will need to change their emphasis on spending to visibly advantage to red wall areas and make some nod to increased tax on the rich to pay for it and for the sheer optics.

If so, I don’t see how, come the next election, Labour can make spending promises that challenge the Tories without very shouty headlines about Labour returning to Corbynism.

On spending at least, the Tories have undoubtedly moved towards Keynesianism, so the question of where that leaves Labour is, it seems to me, a valid one.
I don’t believe the Tories have shifted to the left. I believe, rather, that they will make a great show of pretending to do so, but there will be no substantive effect. The job of Labour will be to expose the hollowness of these promises.

I hope you’re right, but the quotes I hear on the radio from northern towns are generally still supportive of Boris while Sunak is riding high in the polls. This chimes with what I hear from my ‘man in the pub’ down here. Johnson remains popular despite, or maybe because of, his bumbling and lies.

I fear that the Labour tactic of sitting back and doing nothing while we wait for the Tories to trip up or the voters to wake up is going to be doomed to failure
Also, the Tories will ditch Johnson as soon as he becomes unpopular. I'm not sure Starmer's "smooth dude in a suit" approach will have the same traction against Sunak (I mean, have you seen his suits?).

Assuming Sunak does succeed Johnson, how many Tory voters would pause before voting for a party run by a swarthy person of the Asian persuasion? Given the xenophobia and outright racism in some Tory/Brexit demographics, not to mention ‘red wall’ constituencies, might this not be a non-trivial risk factor for them?

Also, the Tories will ditch Johnson as soon as he becomes unpopular. I'm not sure Starmer's "smooth dude in a suit" approach will have the same traction against Sunak (I mean, have you seen his suits?).

Labour will then have to ditch Starmer and find a scruffy (preferably female) git. Either that, or do a transfer deal with the Tories and get Sunak on board.

I don’t believe the Tories have shifted to the left. I believe, rather, that they will make a great show of pretending to do so, but there will be no substantive effect. The job of Labour will be to expose the hollowness of these promises.
I agree, but Labour has a history of mimicking the Tories when they should be exposing and challenging them. Look at the 3 line whip to waive, or do I mean wave, through the Welfare Reform Bill for instance

I agree, but Labour has a history of mimicking the Tories when they should be exposing and challenging. Look at the 3 line whip to waive, or do I mean wave, through the Welfare Reform Bill for instance
Post Brexit/Covid, they should have the easiest job in history. Basically, not being the shower in charge. If they flunk it, they don’t deserve to run the country and I’m not sure they’d be the right people for the job in that case.

Another failure is the lack of support for health workers who were not awarded a pay rise in the recent public sector announcement. I think Labour's support would have huge public backing, but appeasing big business appears to be the order of the day in Labour circles.

It will, as always, mostly depend on how the economy is doing come General Election time.

But, again as always, the majority pfm viewpoint is skewed towards Tory = Bad, Labour = Good, with a subset of Tory = Bad, Right-wing Labour = Worse, which is at odds with the view of the wider population. In addition, opinions on pfm are usually combined with a healthy dose of wishful thinking, of the 'there's no way Cameron can survive this' type. This despite the fact that in living memory there's never been a UK Government with a positive majority that has been unseated, however badly things have gone. The Tories will ruthlessly boot out a leader who is seen as either past their sell-by date, or unlikely to win the next election. The brutal truth is that whoever leads Labour will have to rely on the economy doing badly, whilst not, of course, expressing their hope of this happening.

Joe, I don't recall anyone here arguing that any Labour Government is worse than the Tories - you're creating a fantasy in your own mind

Joe, I don't recall anyone here arguing that any Labour Govenment is worse than the Tories - you're creating a fantasy in your own mind

I'm just going on the many derogatory (no pun intended) views expressed on pfm about Tony Blair and the administrations he led.

It will, as always, mostly depend on how the economy is doing come General Election time.

But, again as always, the majority pfm viewpoint is skewed towards Tory = Bad, Labour = Good, with a subset of Tory = Bad, Right-wing Labour = Worse, which is at odds with the view of the wider population.
I’ve never understood this. I realise a rightward-Leaning Labour Party (eg NuLab) is far from ideal as a supporter of core Labour ideals, but it is to be preferred over any flavour of Tory government since the Heath days, IMHO. First get into power, then argue over policy nuances.

I’ve never understood this. I realise a rightward-Leaning Labour Party (eg NuLab) is far from ideal as a supporter of core Labour ideals, but it is to be preferred over any flavour of Tory government since the Heath days, IMHO. First get into power, then argue over policy nuances.

I guess the alternative view is that the policy nuances never do get discussed once in power, because being in power is seen as the end rather than the means.

The major disaster for Labour was losing Roy Jenkins, the best Home Secretary and one of the best Chancellors of the Exchequer in living memory. What makes it worse is that he went because the then leadership were 'early adopters' of Brexit!

Assuming Sunak does succeed Johnson, how many Tory voters would pause before voting for a party run by a swarthy person of the Asian persuasion? Given the xenophobia and outright racism in some Tory/Brexit demographics, not to mention ‘red wall’ constituencies, might this not be a non-trivial risk factor for them?

As long as it's one of 'our' brown people keeping the foreigners out and appearing to 'splash the cash' where it's wanted, they will still find support in the majority of the UK's economically liberal but socally conservative electorate.

I guess the alternative view is that the policy nuances never do get discussed once in power, because being in power is seen as the end rather than the means.
Yes, and my counter argument to that is that anybody who thinks achieving power is the end not the means does not deserve my vote. The getting into power bit is entirely the means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back