advertisement

Krystal replacement on LP12?

NickofWimbledon

pfm Member
I have asked this question on the Naim site, but would like advice from a wider audience if possible.

I don’t know how many hours my Krystal has done, but it must be well over 1.500, and not all on pristine vinyl. It still sounds good, and fine judgements are impossible because I have improved other things and audio memory is bad, esp on gradual changes.

In any event, judging by previous cartridges and by previous threads here, it is probably already a bit less than A1, despite it looking ‘fine’ to a dealer last year when my Karousel arrived - and it will get materially worse sooner or later.

Should I trade it in for just £250 and get another Krystal?

My kit would support a better cartridge, I suspect, but whether my ears could tell the benefit is more debatable. In my house and system, I could hear the difference between a new Krystal and my (ageing) Arkiv, but I always struggled to hear much difference between Kandid and Krystal. Mind you, that was through a Linto and I now have a Superline…

Otherwise, I am open to suggestions about what to get, though hopefully that is a project for 2023. Has anyone heard a Kendo? Should I look beyond Linn?

I have a Superline, now with the 576R airplug Z - which might need replacing with a new one if that isn’t the right loading for a new cartridge.

There's alternatives out there more affordable.

With better tips and needles too.

Problem finding suitable demo-facilities these days.

There's alternatives out there more affordable.

With better tips and needles too.

Problem finding suitable demo-facilities these days.

Thanks. What would you try?

Given the costs, I suppose I should't sulk about the extra for a new airplay if the loading changes...

Goldring rebuild service I suspect. They used to be official rebuilders of the older linn carts (Karma/Troika ect), not sure how that relates to the newer ones, however they rebuilt my Koetsu Red Sig which I’m happy with.

Given your comment re less than perfect vinyl, would the option be rebuild when required, but rather than paying for a new cartridge invest in a decent vinyl cleaning machine? Better cartridge life on the rebuild and much better sounding losing the grunge?

Given your comment re less than perfect vinyl, would the option be rebuild when required, but rather than paying for a new cartridge invest in a decent vinyl cleaning machine? Better cartridge life on the rebuild and much better sounding losing the grunge?

Thanks. I use the Audio Desk Systeme for just that reason, and am progressively replacing particularly tatty vinyl.

Nick, that'a a nice choice. The difference between the Linn cartridges shouldn't be subtle. Given you have upgraded your system it might be worth revisiting. I'm currently looking at cart options, almost impossible to get meaningful dems.

Goldring rebuild service I suspect. They used to be official rebuilders of the older linn carts (Karma/Troika ect), not sure how that relates to the newer ones, however they rebuilt my Koetsu Red Sig which I’m happy with.

Last I heard is that they do not rebuild/retip Krystals since they are still a Linn active product.

Nick,

I would investigate the Hana ML.

There's lots of PFM users here myself included.It's an absolute peach of a cartridge and if you doubled the price it would still be superb VFM.

It's got this really airy top end - The mid is incredible transparent and the bass is really taught and defined.Tracks superbly.

Here is a review from HIFI + Just a thought really but you did ask about alternatives.

https://hifiplus.com/articles/hana-... 'brilliant' in detail,these two will play it.

Don't worry about the air plug loading as you can easy solder in 2 new resistors into it as that's all that's inside the plugs

Don't worry about the air plug loading as you can easy solder in 2 new resistors into it as that's all that's inside the plugs

Thanks but the words “you can” may need some qualification. How about “someone competent could”?

For anything like that, I’ll just buy, begrudgingly or not.

The Hana ML would be a massive downgrade, take a listen , Id be surprised if you thought it acceptable after owning a Krystal.

Two charcroft resistors will cost you about £30. You'll could them and a soldering iron for the price of the plugs.

Good news!

I spent the morning talking platforms and baseboards at Infidelity. While there, they took a good look an listen to my Krystal. It's in remarkably good nick for the use, which reinforces just how important a record cleaning machine is!

It will probably need replacing after few more hundred hours, which suggests a useful life of well over 2000 hours. When the time comes, I'll probably compare Krystal and Kendo with Lyra and Dynavector options (maybe a couple of the other suggestions too), but that could be a year away.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

advertisement

Back