advertisement

Krell KSA 50

pocketkitchen

Evening everyone! I’ve been lucky enough to purchase one of these iconic bits of kit from a very nice chap on here and I’ll be sending to a good engineer for a thorough check/service as it’s probably quite a long time since it’s had a check and at 30-40 years old, another wouldn’t go amiss. I know @Arkless Electronics has experience of these but does anyone have any comments regarding components etc.If caps need doing should I try and replace as close to stock as poss, or are things like Mundorf etc worthwhile? Or, indeed, should I replace all the caps as a matter of course?

If its never been recapped and uses the phenolic cased red rode's then just replace them all with decent cooking grade 105 degree panasonics. For the main psu caps rifa/kemet peh are simply unbeatable for ripple, temp and lifespan, steer clear or boutique bollox.

New rectifiers - will the 'Prasi' Mosfet items take the heat? Panasonic FM caps as mentioned above.

On balance I would fit the big Kendeil PSU caps, they are a direct swap

I put kendeils in my ksa200, but only cos I had them.

Does a synchro rectifier offer anything, ?

Worth seeing if it full of dust and fluff. It may need a good strip down and clean. Also check that the fan hasn't warped with the heat, the blades have begun to foul the fan case - depending on how much use its seen.

Worth seeing if it full of dust and fluff. It may need a good strip down and clean. Also check that the fan hasn't warped with the heat, the blades have begun to foul the fan case - depending on how much use its seen.

Yes this can happen and I had to replace the fans.

Update: I sent this to Cliff Guest, the chap that does Doug Brady’s servicing for them for a once over and for the princely sum of £60, I’ve got the best power amp I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning! All the caps were original and within spec, everything was clean as a whistle and dust free. All he did was reset the bias and resoldered a dodgy connection and it was good to go.

I’d better sell my Dynavector!

Update: I sent this to Cliff Guest, the chap that does Doug Brady’s servicing for them for a once over and for the princely sum of £60, I’ve got the best power amp I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning! All the caps were original and within spec, everything was clean as a whistle and dust free. All he did was reset the bias and resoldered a dodgy connection and it was good to go.

That's splendid value for peace of mind. Enjoy it for the rest of us : )

The only thing I’ve had in my system that was better was a pair of EAR 519. Sadly they had been lent to me by a friend and I had to return them ☹️. It’s shown my DV a clean pair of heels. It’s not quite as fast as that but the bass has a “rightness” to it that nothing else I’ve tried with my Shahinians does. The big surprise has been the top end which is far more detailed and transparent than I ever expected it to be.

Pk, What's the rest of your system?

A well sorted KSA-50 is one of my favourite amps.

What's your pre?

I still reckon a pair of those active rectifiers would be worth a try. You'll need to get the bias reset as they would give you an extra volt or so at the rails. Jez may well be right that they will make no difference to the outcome, but killing noise at source has to be better than removing it later.

Pk, What's the rest of your system?

A well sorted KSA-50 is one of my favourite amps.

What's your pre?

I still reckon a pair of those active rectifiers would be worth a try. You'll need to get the bias reset as they would give you an extra volt or so at the rails. Jez may well be right that they will make no difference to the outcome, but killing noise at source has to be better than removing it later.

The pre is a DV L300/P300. Speakers are Shahinian Hawk bass modules with Super Elf tops. Turntable is a Well Tempered Amadeus 254/DV XX2 mk2. A classic Pear Audio system, until I messed it up with the Krell! It was good before but the Krell has really solidified the LF.

Thanks for your suggestion of the rectifier but In a firm believer in keeping things stock if I can, so I’m going to leave well alone on that front. If it ain’t broke, etc…

I imagine that you have a fantastic sounding system! Although I'm slightly surprised that the non balanced Krell betters the DV power amp.

Just for a laugh perhaps you could try a JVC AX-Z1010TN or a pair of super charger powered Temple Monoblocks. To my ears the Temples sounded just like a KSA-200.

I’d be very interested to know what you think of the Krell with no preamp, using digital or passive volume control.

Is the fan on yours original? They have a reputation for clicking, mine did till I got it replaced.

advertisement

Back