advertisement

Krell KAV-300i

Howdy

pfm Member
I spent a lot of time with this amp many moons ago, I didn't really appreciate it at the time, there were aspects of it that I hated, but perhaps many of them were just prejudice... anyway it somehow keeps knocking on my conscious... I've been using various Naim amps for some years now, and I just keep thinking, should I try KAV-300i again. They are ridiculously low priced used now.

So, any fish uses one, did use one, what did it replace and what did you replace it with. Memories, experiences, thoughts, comparisons, impressions ... Would it require a service?

Not a KAV-300i I went from a Naim set-up to a KAV-400xi which was well under £1000 2nd hand from one of the local dealers. That seemed crazy cheap given how expensive the entry level Krell is these days, so I ended up demoing it and buying it although I wasn't really looking for an amp at that time (I'd gone in to pick up a turntable for one of my kids and noticed the amp for sale). It replaced an active Naim set-up with a 32.5, SNAPS, 2 x 140, IXO and Flatcap into Credo's (which have been replaced with Wilson Benesch Square One's). The Naim set-up was very good but was a lot of boxes and took up a lot of space. Not only does the current set-up sound a lot better, but it's also a lot simpler. The main source is an LP12 (and was with the Naim set-up as well) as well as a Cambridge Audio streamer and a Audiolab Transport (both of which feed into a Moon Audio DAC).

I've not thought about servicing the Krell yet and it certainly doesn't sound like it needs it. One thing to note is that they're quite a fair size - not tall, but quite wide. On my Mana racks it won't fit into one of the shelves so is on the top. That's not a problem in my set-up as the turntable is on a wall shelf and the CD transport is on a seperate Mana table - but worth bearing in mind.

Listened to one years ago, it was lovely. Nearly bought it, but I was buying pre power at the time. I could have lived with it easily.

advertisement

Back