advertisement

Krell K-300i Integrated Amp

Not happy with your Accuphase?
Very happy with it. But there's one thing...Probably not important to most, but I'm a keen A/V fan and the Accuphase, although you can physically switch over to direct input to amp., doesn't do remote unity gain switching. If you're not so sprightly, it's a bit of a nuisance. So if the Krell matched the Accuphase in sound quality (although it will sound different of course) it would be rather more convenient.

Hi Tony. What about the Rega Osiris?

https://www.rega.co.uk/products/osiris

"Direct Input

This input is routed directly to the power amplifier input with no volume control. The intended use is with multi channel systems, where the traditional two-channel system is used as the front speakers. This input can also be used with an external pre amplifier, if so desired, or a source component if it is fitted with it’s own volume control. The level is 220mV for maximum output. CAUTION – As this input has no volume control, if a source such as a CD player is connected to this input the speakers will be driven to their maximum, this could potentially damage the speakers and amplifier."

If you can find a used one, they're a bargain for the sound on offer. It was a long time ago now but I heard one In a full Rega set up (Isis,Osiris, RS10). Sounded superb and has the AV fixed inputs too.

Cheers, Rack.

I did give this K300i some consideration, but decided against (for the time being!). Reasoning:

It's not vastly different from the Vanguard, which never sold well in the UK.

As with all US gear, the price in the UK is much higher than the domestic market share it sits in.

Residual value are very poor. When the Vanguard was end of line, models struggled to realise 30-40% of (note: not 'off') their RRP and that's with a warranty!

Krell has had a very chequered history, ownership wise and quality wise. The move to foreign production seems to have been disastrous for them. OK. they bought back production with the Vanguard, but questions remain on long term reliability.

I don't think anyone pays £20k for these. They come up fairly regularly at vast discounts. The RRP is a bit of a marketing ploy, IMO. I did look at Aavik as well, as it might be considered a natural partner for my Raidhos, for obvious reasons. The design is excellent, but that case would cost a fortune to make and that's where a great deal of the price goes, IMO. I heard a U150 and it was very similar to a Bel Canto 2.7/Ref 500S to me.

I'm happy with my Accuphase, but if I did change then Gryphon would be in the spotlight.

I heard the KAV 300i with SF Electa Amator II's and a pair of ML Aerius i speakers in AS demonstration (show conditions) not long after the Krell integrated was launched, I wasn't familiar with any of the music played (all SACD's) but it sounded very good, I didn't really like the lack of a rotary volume control but other than that it would have been quite hard to find fault when partnered with either of the speakers I heard it with, I could of happily bought either but they were a bit out of my price range at the time.

My KAV-400xi does have a rotary volume control but my Primare integrated doesn't and I don't find that an issue as its volume steps are small enough that it's fine. So it wouldn't a show-stopper for me as long as its well implemented.

I've had an amp with a poorly implemented rotary volume control (the Onix DNA45) and I'd certainly prefer a well implemented volume buttons to that. I've not used those on the K-300i though, so no idea if they're ok or not!

Thanks for this. I guess the only thing, in my quest for a single-box solution, is that the reviewer used a Chord Dave/Mscaler to compare with the Krell's on-board DAC, the former was rather better. Not really a surprise I suppose, but as that's the same DAC combination I use, it would maybe make sense, were I to be interested enough to try this amp, to go for the plain integrated without the digital extras. From my experience with my current Accuphase, it might well sound better without the additional gubbins inside.

More than welcome. I’m not familiar with the sound of the Chord products you have, but I’m sure they would be a complementary match to the Krell, as per Ed Selley’s review.

I always liked seeing your system pix on the Naim forum and you’ve made quite a change from the row of Naim boxes - looks really good. I think this approach is the growing trend now, where multi stacks are slowly being usurped by a potent integrated with modular boards for greater flexibility.

advertisement

Back