advertisement

Kraftwerk 'minimum-maximum'

Where does the engine sample at the beginning of Autobahn on Min-Max come from?

Nicely chunky.

DS

Re UK pressing. Both copies I've had have had flat discs. I have no idea what they sound like, since I don't have a functioning turntable, but the surface of one of the discs in my first set was covered in feint spots!

Re Autobahn. I don't know about the Min Max version - I haven't heard it for a few days and I've forgotten the engine sound - but I think the original is a VW Beetle - the horn certainly is.

Thanks Jeremy. That sounds credible and air cooled.

DS

OTD - Mathew Jonson - Marionette

Originally posted by JeremyD
Re UK pressing. Both copies I've had have had flat discs. I have no idea what they sound like, since I don't have a functioning turntable, but the surface of one of the discs in my first set was covered in feint spots!

Re Autobahn. I don't know about the Min Max version - I haven't heard it for a few days and I've forgotten the engine sound - but I think the original is a VW Beetle - the horn certainly is.

My Uk copy has no problems and are flat. Can confirm that there is some seriously subterranean bass on these discs.

The horn perhaps - the engine definitely not. I'd know the sound of a VW aircooled flat four half a mile away (quite literally - they are noisy). I've owned a couple of Type 2 campers in my time and its the same engine as the Beetle and that isn't one of them - either on the new album or on the original album. Sounds more like a diesel to me :)

I've listened to this album a bit more over the weekend and my initial feelings have not changed. Whilst the sound quality really is quite impressive, I'm not sure I like the way a lot of their older stuff has been technoed up - a lot of the subtlety and ambience of the original music seems to have been sacrificed in the process - oh well.

advertisement

Back