advertisement

Kobe Bryant RIP

Our local cricket association fields lots of teams, and there are matches most summer weekends.

http://www.minnesotacricket.com

I ride my bike past their field regularly, and from what I can tell, the percentage of Asian players is pretty high.

Along with rugby, cricket is not a sport I understand or follow. Only time I've ever really watched at length was during visits to South Africa. Am sure I would enjoy both if I put in the effort, but I was raised on baseball, soccer, football and basketball (in that order). I don't even have time for ice hockey, and it's a local religion!

is ice hockey like wood basketball?

I once mentioned “hockey” in a group of men and women, and one of ladies said in a rather challenging tone “ice or field?”.

So as to not repeat this grievous mistake of the past, I have since then always used the qualifier.

But now that I think about, since outdoor basketball is played on asphalt...

It's sports news and a general interest story in the UK, not the country's leading news headline. The Guardian called it rightly. I'd say the same if it had been say Madison Bumgarner or Tom Brady. Imagine the Yanks leading all the national news headlines with a similar story about, say, Joe Root. Perspective..

David Beckham would have been a better example than Joe Root. Also Basketball is massively popular in lots of places and the UK is something of an outlier compared to the rest of the world. It's huge in the rest of Europe.

And as has been said, PFM demographics are pretty much the opposite of basketball demographics.

PS Brits would though appreciate articles on how numerous people in the US can go around with the family name Bumgarner without hilarity ensuing on a regular basis :)

David Beckham would have been a better example than Joe Root. Also Basketball is massively popular in lots of places and the UK is something of an outlier compared to the rest of the world. It's huge in the rest of Europe.

And as has been said, PFM demographics are pretty much the opposite of basketball demographics.

PS Brits would though appreciate articles on how numerous people in the US can go around with the family name Bumgarner without hilarity ensuing on a regular basis :)

I've no issue with any of that - it just wasn't the lead news story - there was Huawei and Trump trying to pressurise the UK, Coronavirus and countless other issues. I see at as the ongoing dumbing down of the news - 450 jobs to go announced today and a further downsizing of news provision, so we'll get more recycled US news stories...

advertisement

Back