advertisement

Kobe Bryant RIP

rough edges

Sapere Aude
Truly sad news. A helicopter crash of all things. He was such an amazing talent, and he displayed true humanity through his connection with his fans. His 13 yr old daughter died as well. Sad day indeed...

Helicopters. Not for me.
Very sad. RIP.

I was going to say the same thing, I know there's probably a whole load of statistics about them being perfectly safe but they seem to fall out of the sky an awful lot. I wouldn't get on one unless absolutely necessary.

RIP.

RIP. I have been on a helicopter once, the experience oscilated between "this is amazing" to "get me off this thing" every 10 seconds or so.

I was going to say the same thing, I know there's probably a whole load of statistics about them being perfectly safe but they seem to fall out of the sky an awful lot. I wouldn't get on one unless absolutely necessary.

RIP.
The statistics say that helicopters are about 10x more dangerous than light fixed wing aircraft. Too many single failure parts resulting in a serious crash

Now if it was Geoffrey Boycott I could understand the hullaballoo in the national media - not that our Geoffrey would ever get in one of those new fangled whirly things.

Sad when anyone dies in an accident - particularly a child of just 13.

I'd not heard of him either, but it materialises that he was a great and much admired sportsman. It turns out that a friend knew him, he was a great supporter of young people in baseball, and that he had tutored her great niece.

Like others I didn't know him but I doubt the death of an England cricketer would be reported in USA front page news. Sad, because apparently he was very much a role model and increased sports participation etc. However just as sad is the fact that his daughter had one of her friends and her parent along and they were going to play in the same basketball tournament. Nobody is talking about them, they are just "7 others".

Tonight's lead story on the BBC: Lots of middle aged, middle class white folk had never heard of Kobe Bryant.

But it'll be fine, next week Panorama are doing a special from the Amaechi Centre where loads of working class black kids will be saying how much he gave them hope and inspiration.

RIP Kobe.

Like others I didn't know him but I doubt the death of an England cricketer would be reported in USA front page news. Sad, because apparently he was very much a role model and increased sports participation etc. However just as sad is the fact that his daughter had one of her friends and her parent along and they were going to play in the same basketball tournament. Nobody is talking about them, they are just "7 others".

In fairness, I think they are.

advertisement

Back