advertisement

Klipsch + HH Scott/EICO/Dynaco/etc.

ErikL

pfm Member
I know that Tony L/King Admin is from England, but from an US perspective, we need some discussion about HH Scott/ Fisher/ EICO/ Dynaco/ Heathkit/ McIntosh/ Harmon Kardon/ etc when it comes to old school Klipsch's speakers.

I'm interested in a Klipsch Heresy + EICO HF-81 or Scott. Any have an experience in this or/and have any links? Thx.

Erik,

My experience with heritage Klipsch is limited to the Belles, but I think amp requirements can be extrapolated to the entire heritage line.

If so, you'll want to use a thermionic amp of some description or, if you're set on SS, something warm tonally with relatively high output impedance.

Joe

At least you won't need many watts! My old Klipschorns ran on about 2 watts, using DNM Pre/Power set up. Ideally you want a QUIET amp as any hiss is magnified.
Detailed, fast etc is a given.
Believe it or not, you could run a Mini-T 2020 chip amp, though not sure how much it'd clamp the bass driver!

I love my Heresys, though I approach them from the perspective they are not hugely neutral - they are crisp, a little forward and rather over-damped / light in the bass, especially considering they are a rather large speaker by modern standards. I've heard Heresys on quite a few amps now and certainly feel tubes suit them the best, they just seem warmer and smoother in this context. I bet any of the tube amps you list will suit them well. FWIW the only solid state amp I've liked with them to date is the Quad 303 I'm using at present, a smooth and rather 'tubey' amp that's at it's best into the high impedance the Heresys present (8-72 Ohm), though I bet a Sugden A21 would be good too. I've heard Heresys sound great on a 2 watt EL84 SET, so power is simply not an issue here - they seem far easier drive than my similarly efficient 15" Tannoys.

Tony.

advertisement

Back