advertisement

Klangfilm Eurodyn

franck_j

Hello,

I have Klangfilm Eurodyn and I am looking for advises.
Which amp should I use ? Which enclosure ?
I would be very pleased if you could give me some help because I am french, and in France it is quite impossible to find men with the same loudspeakers.
Otherwise, I am building a small website about Klangfilm/Siemens : http://klangfilm.chez.tiscali.fr/

Thank you.
Franck

Hi Mick,

Thi is not esoteric DIY stuff.
Klangfilm is the german Western Electric.
They made systems for movie theaters.
It is difficult to descibe the sound but it is a bit like Western Electric or Altec.
I believe that it is natural and very coherent (and it is not easy to have a coherent sound with high efficiency speakers)
But it is just my tatse !

Franck

The Klangfilm Eurodyn is quite possibly the best driver I have heard. In the right cirumstances, this forms the basis for a simply incredible speaker.
Naturally, this is a cult item in Japan. I won't tell you how much these go for here, in case you want to donate your Eurodyns to me :D
I don't know if the usual cabs used here in Japan are standard, but they are large - I would guess an easy couple of hundred litres on average, so in the Very Large Tannoy class.
Most people would probably run them through valves, but I've heard them sound amazing through a pair of very ordinary MOSFET monoblocks ;) . If you don't have a movie theatre to fill, pretty much whatever amp you have to hand should work (I could be totally wrong, of course).
Great speakers. I'm jealous!

Hello Joel,

I think the Eurodyn will be my last speakere.
So you will have to wait my death before you can get mine !
The only "enclosure" I know for Eurodyn is the open-baffle.
I am very interested by the cabs used in Japan.
Do you knwere I could find drawings of this enclosure ?
I have tried a cheap (300 euros) Luxman transistor amp and I was surprised by how good the results were.
I had a SE 300B amp and now I use a Telefunken V73. It's better.
I am sure that I still have much work if I want to get the best from this speaker.

Franck

Hi Frank,
I can't really help you I'm afraid, as there seems to be little or no useful information about these. They do appear to be among the rarest speakers around; Paragons, which are in the same price bracket -that's a clue, are commonplace by comparison. It could well be that most setups are open baffle. I'm pretty sure that the pair they used to have at a local jazz bar were not, but then again it is quite dark in the average jazz bar...
Which Luxman amp was that BTW?

Frank,

I'm always interested in this kind of esoterica, and so had a quick look around the web... early on I came across this website... I'm 'not sure if I'm telling you how to suck eggs', but it seems preety cool :)

Off to London early tomorrow morning so have to go now...

Dave

P.S.... hmm, I see it's actually YOUR website!!!!! I should be more observant in future.... hehehe

Hi Joel,

This si a pitty that these speakers are so scarce because it is very, very difficult to get information about it.
In France we are perhaps 10 who use them.
The Luxman amp is a LV-100 that I bought 20 years ago...

Franck

Dave,

Thank you for your help. As I had not found anything about Klangfilmon the web, I decide to buid this site with some friends.
It is even very difficult to have documentation.

Franck

When I listened to a Klangfilm 2-way combo (15 inch woofer and big square horn, maybe it was called Eurodyn or similiar), it had a severely colored midrange and a very beamy horn region. So I did not like it that much.

So what is the hype about ?

In my opinion, interesting Altec or JBL or TAD drivers are available easily on the internet or ebay. You can even get electrodynamic Fertin woofers in France, if you like. There is absolutely no need to hunt after the unobtainable.

One of my friends has 4 pcs. Altec 416 each side with TAD 4001 midrange and horn and TAD ribbon tweeter, look here:
speaker1.jpg

best regards,
Hartmut from Munich, playing Altec 414, 802 with JBL 2370 horns in open cabinet.

BTW, I am on the European Triode Festival 2004 in December. http://www.triodefestival.net

Hello Hartmut,

It was probably a Eurodyn that you have listened to.
As always, it is a matter of taste.
Before my Eurodyn, I had Onken with Altec 416 and Altec 909 (then Tad 2001) with Le Dauphin horn.
I know very well almost all the Altec drivers : 515, 416, 288, 291, 299, 399, 902, 909, 802, 808…and horns : 511, 811, 1505, 805, 803.. because many audiophiles have these in France and I have listened to them in bass-reflex, short bass horns, open-baffles…
I know also Fertin (I am french) but I prefer Altec woofers.
For me the kl-l302 with its horn is far better than all Altec or JBL : less hifi, more natural, more linear (except the Tad 2001 for this point)
And the kl-l302 with the kl-l406 (15 "bass driver) give you a very coherent sound, and, for me, this is not the case with Altec.
The worst point with the Klangfilm bass drivers is that you can't have lows (below 60/70 hz)
But I understand that you and others don't agree with me. It's not a problem.
And I think that for the money, Altec drivers are really the best. Moreover when you have a problem with an Altec driver, it is easy to find a new one. With Klangfilm drivers, it's a nightmare !

Hartmut, which amp do you use ?

Franck

Hello Franck,

I do not like Altec horns either. That is why I am using JBL horns with Altec drivers. And I prefer the 12 inch 414 to the bigger Altecs, because of the electrostatic quality midrange. If I were more into bass, I would prefer 12-inch Tannoys, but those have inferior midrange and treble regions. Yes I find it very difficult to match a 15 inch to a horn. I tried for years many different 15 inch woofers (JBL, Altec, Fostex, EV), but never found a solution that I really liked. Then I tried the 12 inch 414 and stayed with it.

Amp-wise, I am using small DIY transistor power amps with about 25 watts each channel. I am doing DIY for 20 years now, and my own designs are a bit better than say a Hiraga Le Classe A. I owned some triodes (e.g. Uchida/Sun Audio) and built some myself, too, but I value bass control and musical drama of transistor amplifiers higher than the sweetness of tubes.

best regards,
Hartmut

advertisement

Back