advertisement

kitchen music streamer

kwmason

Won Ton On
I am looking for a small music streamer (1 box) that i can put on a shelf in the kitchen that can wirelessly access my itunes account as well as internet/dab radio - easy enough for my wife to use but preferably not a dock. something portable enough to maybe move from room to room or outside if needed.
budget £500 very max

if it helps, my itunes music is kept in the cloud not on any device we need to have turned on and we access it either via an ipda or iphone5 - another option we would consider is just net streaming from say a spotify account instead

The Squeezebox Radio does that with the optimal battery pack. But you would need a computer or server to stream the music etc.

Tim.

If you are not fussed about it being stereo - this from Logitech (the replacement for the Squeezebox Radio) could fit the bill nicely. I have a squeezebox radio and for a mono speaker it is surprisingly solid sounding.

http://ue.logitech.com/en-gb/smart-radios?WT.mc_id=EMEA_DR_UK_Q4_FY13_SERP&WT.srch=1&ci=0

Very transportable either by moving the mains plug around with you or getting an optional battery pack, which fits inside the unit, and can give around 5 hours of music when fully charged. It charges when you have the radio plugged into the mains.

There is a way to use two of them (at least there was for the squeezebox radio) to create a stereo pair.
*** Sorry just had a look at the instructions - I don't think this is possible with the UE radio as it doesn't use the Logitech Media Software ***

Very easy to use and fit into the home network.

But I am sure there are lots of similar products around.

Enjoy the search
Sam

500 should buy you
Logitech squeezebox touch
power amp (arcam 8p)
pair of solid bookshelf spks (royd eden?)

I have two setups like this (linn av5105 amp linn uniks)

I have squeezebox radio. audio is just not punchy enough for a busy kitchen but fine for little rooms.

I would suggest airport express or apple tv if you have a tv in the kitchen and any active speakers of your choice. (note the apple tv will need a dac but that can be done for £30)

advertisement

Back