advertisement

Kitchen knives…

You'll be prying this from my cold dead hands. I watch Stumpy Nubs on youtube who bangs on about tormek but I thought I could never afford one. Now I am thinking I cannot afford a tesla, lets see how that pans out.

I have purchased cheap and very expensive knives, all went blunt in my other half's care as thrown in the dishwasher and drawer with every other knife. I now buy individual knives as needed from the likes of TK Max and no longer get upset with the frequency I have to replace..

I've an urge to go check tk maxx now, but I have like 40 knives.

TK Maxx is good. Here are a couple of Zwillings I picked up there at the beginning of the year.

51733281626_b018b71d61_z.jpg

You'll be prying this from my cold dead hands. I watch Stumpy Nubs on youtube who bangs on about tormek but I thought I could never afford one. Now I am thinking I cannot afford a tesla, lets see how that pans out.

Well I have a Tesla but no Tormek, sadly no swaps on offer

I have a rack full of knives, mostly with the name Sabatier on them. The best are old and have carbon steel blades. A couple of the later stainless steel ones are rubbish. It was a while before I cottoned on to the fact that the name Sabatier means absolutely nothing on its own.

I lost one of the smaller knives recently and bought a small set of Kitchen Devils at the supermarket with the weekly shop as it had the size knife I wanted included. They are very sharp and quite good for not much money. I suppose the downside is they don't give you bragging rites on pfm and you have to throw them away when they get blunt, which they haven't done yet. Other than that, they are fine :)

Last edited:
I have a rack full of knives, mostly with the name Sabatier on them. The best are old and have carbon steel blades. A couple of the later stainless steel ones are rubbish.

We've had a few Sabatier's (mostly from TKmax!) and would agree the new ones aren't great.

Yeah I think thats like Axminster or Wilton Carpets, only a name now.

I think they have been that for many many years. Certainly when I bought mine around 25 years ago there were may different qualities to be found. Mine are still going strong.

I've got a vast selection, some very old carbon steel. Love the old ones but we use little paring knives mostly which are newer.

I try to keep more little knives as they go blunt first and we usually have a good sharpening session every six months or so.

A good sharpening system is as important as decent knives.

I think they have been that for many many years. Certainly when I bought mine around 25 years ago there were may different qualities to be found. Mine are still going strong.

Ironically they still make axminster, at Wilton Carpets in Wilton, they have the looms there, or at least they did not so sure now.

Here’s my two. The Robert Welch only ever gets wiped down and lives in it box when not in use. The other is a trusty Sab, thirty years old and never super sharp but fine for most things. The welch is mainly used for chopping onions. Because it is so sharp it causes minimal weeping and if you chop onions correctly for fine dice a very sharp knife is vital. I also use it when I want stuff super thin. RW is about £45.

Here’s my two. The Robert Welch only ever gets wiped down and lives in it box when not in use. The other is a trusty Sab, thirty years old and never super sharp but fine for most things. The welch is mainly used for chopping onions. Because it is so sharp it causes minimal weeping and if you chop onions correctly a very sharp knife is vital. I also use it when I want stuff super thin. RW is about £45.

Can you tell me the correct way to chop onions please.

Sabatier used to be great. Had this one for 35 years or more but the handle fell to bits, in pieces , gradually, over time. Couldn't bear to part with it so I fashioned a replacement out of black Milliput. Not pretty I know, but it's still functional. Tattie peeling just wouldn't be the same without it.

ZNMRb7n.jpg

advertisement

Back