advertisement

Kit you regret not buying

neil

Wish I could re member
Rather than the more usual kit you regretted selling/buying I thought a thread in similar vain with a slight twist might be fun. So here it is.

Is there any piece of equipment that you had the opportunity to buy and didn't that at some point afterwards you've said I wish I'd bought that?

For me I guess it would be an incident about 18 months ago. A forum member was at risk of redundancy and so was selling off some of his toys in preparation for if the worst happened. He had a very nice Townshend Rock Reference with the original arm (name eludes me). I happened to be doing a bid with his company and so was working down near to where he lived at the time and he very kindly offered to demo the deck for me. Unfortunately his pre-amp died a few days before the demo and so he rigged up a means of playback but the system clearly wasn't showing the strengths of the Rock to best effect. I was still very tempted though. only the potential threat of redundnancies within my own company held me back. Really wish I'd bought it as I doubt I'm likely to get the opportunity again.

regret buying: only some dynaudio speakers. In my system for all of 25mins. dynawful.

regret selling: heybrook HB3's. spent lots of loving care doing them up, mids and s'stage and top was nr perfick (for me/ my budget). big and ugly, and 10" cones walloped me without respite (why I sold).. but maybe I could've tweaked em, maybe, maybe..

naim CB nap160. minty one but had to choose between it or an olive 140 (still here).. choice wasn't wrong, just wished I could've kept both. gorgeous looking thing).

And that's it. No list of turkeys bought or peaches sold bar these few in 25 yrs of arsing about with hifi boxes. That ain't bad.

Kit I regret having sold: the 135's. I had even made some small profit through the transaction, but once the buyer left the place I realised that the amps were now away.

And I should have bought these 70's Tannoys the builder of my power amp had used for monitoring his products.

I regret not buying the very last genuine Rosewood plinthed LP12 back in 1987. I dithered for just a bit too long, and it was gone. But my black one is a good 'un.

I regret not buying the very last genuine Rosewood plinthed LP12 back in 1987. I dithered for just a bit too long, and it was gone. But my black one is a good 'un.

I've seen some very nice Rosewood plinthed LP12's but only on eBay. I ended up buying a cherrywood (non fluted) plinth from Henk the fisherman a few years back. It looks beautiful :)

I should have nailed an AT 33PTG a couple of years ago when they were cheaper and there were $2/£. I should also have bought a Transcriptors Ref that I was offered about 10 yrs ago.

The best lost opportunity though is my mate Dave, who has bought almost everything he's seen. One time though he missed. He;d bought an amp from a guy advertising in the paper. As he left the guy said "hey, I've got an old Leak radio, I'll not get any money for it, you want it? It's called a Through Line or summat." Dave had a look and said, to his everlasting shame: "That old thing, naah mate, look its full of valves and all sorts, bloody ancient thing. Do yourself a favour, best thing you can do with that is open the back door, take it outside and see how far you can chuck it.":D He's since learned the error of his ways and bought a TL3, stereo, but still regrets the one that got away.

sorry got the wrong end of the stick with the idea didnt I.. thought it was sane thread/ should read better!

two I regret not buying.. a PT1 with an arm with a weight-on-a-thread as its bias system rear left (no idea/ didnt really care just lusted after any PT at the time).. cheap so went asap to get cash out came back, it wasnt there. sold in 15mins I was away. That pfm'ers, is right proper arsebanditry.

And a musicmannRD130 combo -the- sweetest thing, tucked away so i thought among other dull dusty looking grey/blk amps. came back next day the only one gone/ sold. Rogered again. I was sore afer these two. But that's it, no other regrets.

Anyone hazzard a guess what that arm was? never seen a bias system like it. sort of small triangle of lead on a thread, going up over a metal hook type affair.

I had an original Audionote IO given to me for nothing by a good friend , it was knackered but instead of keeping it and getting it rebuilt , i sold it on .

A few years later my pal John had an IO in nice condition and he offered it to me but at the time i was TT less , he sold it on for £170 ' bugger:(

That original Well Tempered Table and Arm (the one with the motor in a rectangular cut-out) that was on offer for a just couple hundy more than I'd get for my Rega 3... I was probably even within a half hour drive from it.

Eh, I regret not buying a certain Magnum Dynalab tuner when I had the opportunity.

The stuff I most regret not buying isn't equipment, though -- it's used records. At one time, I could have cleaned up.

I wish I'd bought a pair of Spica TC50 speakers in the early '80s when I had the opportunity to get them at dealer cost.

I wish I'd never sold my Koetsu Black.

I nearly bought a pair of Rogers LS3/5a off a mate in the early 80s but I wanted something a bit bigger so he moved them on for next to nothing. I ended up with HB2Rs in the end.

A long time ago I decided to buy a top turntable. I wanted a Xerxes, SME V, Koetsu Rosewood signature. To save money I substituted the Artemiz for the SME V ... should have pushed myself and gone for the best ... always regretted it.

Nic P

advertisement

Back