advertisement

Kit is now too heavy

davcoll

pfm Member
Good Morning , recomendations please for a decent walkabout . for comparison my curent walking gear is a Canon 6d with 24-105 , due to arthritus/polymyalgia I am quite limited in the distance I can carry the above kit.

Possibly a quality compact or small interchangable lens. willing to go to 1k plus , used not a problem

Many Thanks
Dave

Good Morning , recomendations please for a decent walkabout . for comparison my curent walking gear is a Canon 6d with 24-105 , due to arthritus/polymyalgia I am quite limited in the distance I can carry the above kit.

Possibly a quality compact or small interchangable lens. willing to go to 1k plus , used not a problem

Many Thanks
Dave
Fuji XT-30 is small and compact with interchangeable lenses and weighs 383 grams without lens.

With th excellent 18-55mm lens about £1,200 or the XT-20 about the same size and weight is about £850 with the same lens. They take the full range of Fuji lenses, but longer zooms will weigh more.

If your happy with a high quality fixed lens compact then the Fuji X100f with 23mm lens theequivalent to 35mm weighs 469 grams and has both optical and EF viewfinders. I use it all the time for walkabout, it is a superb camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t30-review
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x100f

You might seriously consider a modern phone. In all but poor lighting the results can be amazing. It means your camera is very light and pretty much always nearby!

See the Phonography thread for lots of phone pictures.

I went with a compact camera system for a while (micro 4/3rd stuff) but have recently switched to a Sony RX100 point & shoot. It has a pretty fast 24-70mm equivalent lens (which is the same as I use as the standard lens on my Pentax K1) and also has an electronic viewfinder which is pretty good. Quality wise it's much better than any point and shoot I've used before - perhaps the equal of my compact system stuff in fact.

Dave,

A Fuji X-series camera of which you’re spoiled for choice and a 18-55mm f/2.8–4 ought to meet your needs.

Joe

Many Thanks
Dave
I sympathise with your position as I got rid of my Canon fullframe kit a few years ago and went to Fuji mirrorless. I still have a Fuji S5 Pro and it serves as a reminder of how heavy a fullsize DSLR can be. If you are considering Fuji, it's worth keeping an eye on their own Refurbished site as they come with a full 12 month warranty. The XT-30 kit mentioned above is currently £959 at the refurb shop, whiile the XT-20 is priced at £649. https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras/compact-system-cameras

Thanks very much for the replies , one of the Fuji X series is looking lilely although after the post by Jono I have always desired a lens with the word Leica on it.

Dave

Its really difficult to buy a bad camera these days, however it is perfectly possible to buy one which doesn't suit your needs!

By walkabout, what do you mean, city breaks, low light, hill walking, etc.......

Whats important to you? Low LIght, Lens Focal Length Range, Handling, MegaPixels, Fast Focus Speed, Weather Sealing, do you print (and do you print big) ??

There are countless questions that you need to ask yourself, and your answers will narrow down your choices, but I would always recommend going to a bricks and mortar store and handling the various cameras, some of the lightweight options can be quite tight for large hands, and ultimately if it doesn't feel right in the hand then you won't use it as often.

I think most compacts these days get pretty close to a SLR in quality terms.
I bought myself a Lumix (with Leica lens)recently, for the same reasons as yourself, and I'm very happy with using it for any 'non-critical' shots (I even leave it on jpeg rather than raw - heresy!)

I like the look of the updated Canon G5x mkii

A 1" sensor should be fine unless printing large, the lens is a fast 24-120mm, and it has a pop-up viewfinder. Handling is good with a nice front grip, and menus are intuitive and should be familiar. Jpegs will be very acceptable if you don't want to shoot RAW. Don't spend money on an interchangeable camera mount if you only want to use one lens

Plenty of other alternatives are available; as Mr Perceptive says go & try them in a store

I was impressed with the output of a similar G7x used by a family member, although he has now changed to Fuji:

48403888802_69ced6ac17_c.jpg

48403889092_65334e2422_c.jpg

48403741566_16a9a93795_c.jpg

These were printed to 18 x 12" & look very good

Last edited:
I do like the look of that G5x mkii however I managed to get a Sony RX100 Mk3 (the first version with the pop-up EVF) for under £300 (with a pile of accessories) so went with one of those. I've been quite impressed with it, on stills and video, so it's been getting a lot of use as my "always with me" option when I don't fancy carrying the K1 and a pile of lenses.

If you can afford it, the Leica Q2 is a very impressive package. I used my Fuji X-E2 with the 27mm pancake at the WOMAD festival this weekend and it did everything I wanted, which was mainly to be small and light.

Many Thanks again for all the replies,I have dug out my EOS20 for walking and am surprised how capable it is .

We will be having a short break in Bordeaux in September and will hopefully find a decent size shop. I have not researched yet but it it must have a decent sized shop.

Dave

Thanks very much for the replies , one of the Fuji X series is looking lilely although after the post by Jono I have always desired a lens with the word Leica on it.

Dave
I still have quite a number of Leica lenses and a few Voigtlander lenses of various vintages from when I had and used various Leicas over the years, the last being an M9. I use these with the Fuji adapter on my X-Pro 2 and XT 1 and the character of each lens is preserved very well by the Fuji's sensor. Focus Peaking makes manual focusing easy.

One would not add much weight to the XT-30 as I suggested above and most Leica lenses would not add much weight to a small 'walk around' kit.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fuji-...MIxZvr_dne4wIVxLHtCh0LoA7NEAQYBSABEgIth_D_BwE

I was in more or less the same situation as yourself Dave, with rheumatoid arthritis and a great big lump of a Canon 5D Mk II, with a host of lenses. I just couldn't be bothered humping it all around, so following advice, I ditched the lot in favour of a Fuji XT-1. A superb camera, don't miss the Canon a bit, and the lenses are exceptionally fine. Highly recommended.

I did treat myself to a Leica Q, but just because.

Just got the first of a trio of primes for my X-Pro 2 - the 50/2 ‘Fujicron’. Even with two more lenses it’s a tiny package, and the IQ is stunning... something to ponder if compactness is important.

Thanks again , unless Canon come up with something special in their soon to be announced updates I am seriously considering the Fuji route.

One problem maybe that I use Affinity for post processing and I have not yet checked if they do Fuji raw.

Dave

you may want to have a look at the SONY DSC-RX100VII and solve this problem with aplomb.

in terms of image quality, no point carrying around anything bigger unless you are shooting for a specific professional purpose. the downside is the lack of certain manual/traditional features, but i seem to be in a tiny minority of those who care about anything like that.

important note: it has a pop-up digital finder.

FFB8BD20AC42E0474C20A4877A695C5F03229DF4_421EC5D1E16118B3C1F7E61C5D1EA311FMTPNGALPHASCL1_gallery.jpg

advertisement

Back