advertisement

King Charles III

^^^ I wonder if he'll get them to re-fettle the crown jewels ready for the coronation ? Apparently they've been knocked about a bit over the centuries.

It took until the mid 1990's to pay off the bill for compensation to Britains' slave owners. The UK borrowed and paid out the equivalent of one third of it's annual GDP to slave owners for the loss of their "property" (even though slaves had to work another two years without pay before being entitled to release).
This means that there are black people alive in the UK today who paid some of their income tax towards the compensation of people who owned and enslaved their own ancestors.

Undeniably true. But how to address that? The original individual beneficiaries are obviously long dead, and (except perhaps in a few cases) tracing the passing of wealth onto their direct descendents is not likely to be possible. And if the UK as a whole has benefited (via infrastructure wealth) then those benefits apply to UK citizens of all ethnic origins.

Far better IMHO to focus on racial equality Today than on directly trying to correct this particular piece of history (other than ensuring it is taught honestly, though I suspect in recent times it is).

Undeniably true. But how to address that? The original individual beneficiaries are obviously long dead, and (except perhaps in a few cases) tracing the passing of wealth onto their direct descendents is not likely to be possible. And if the UK as a whole has benefited (via infrastructure wealth) then those benefits apply to UK citizens of all ethnic origins.

Far better IMHO to focus on racial equality Today than on directly trying to correct this particular piece of history (other than ensuring it is taught honestly, though I suspect in recent times it is).

I think you are right, it probably can't be "corrected" (not without sending the UK back to the middle ages anyway). But it can be admitted and acknowledged by the highest levels of our society. It can be officially apologised for. And oaths can be made never to visit the horrors of colonisation on other peoples in the future. And it should be taught as part of our history, since it is our history.

The mark of an adult, and of a mature, progressive society, is that we take responsibility for our own s**t.

And oaths can be made never to visit the horrors of colonisation on other peoples in the future
With stricter enforcement against bribing ex-colonies leaders and propping up dictators. Much of the British empire was vassal states and it hasn't changed enough

Some 25 years ago the Jewish community didn't see a problem there, they happily took the billions of unclaimed funds Swiss banks paid after the shoah. It was high time the banks paid, no question there, but to this day nobody really knows in which pockets the money finally went. Some of it was certainly used positively in Jewish institutions, but hell knows where the rest has ended up.

It has been on his Wikipedia entry for a long time too.
Yes, but anyone can write any old rubbish on Wikipedia (and frequently do). The fact that the Irish Indie are running it is, in my view, a significant development. Be interesting to see if Buck Pal responds. Charles speaks fondly of his “dear uncle Louis.” It’ll be at least the second high profile paedophile he has spoken fondly of.

Yes, but anyone can write any old rubbish on Wikipedia (and frequently do). The fact that the Irish Indie are running it is, in my view, a significant development. Be interesting to see if Buck Pal responds. Charles speaks fondly of his “dear uncle Louis.” It’ll be at least the second high profile paedophile he has spoken fondly of.

IIRC there is no such thing as libel of the dead, so they are on very safe ground here. I’d also argue that Wikipedia is a vastly larger and more credible global platform than the ever declining Independent, so would run a far bigger risk of legal action when they do get it wrong. A vastly larger readership equates to more potential damage. Obviously being a fully open source, peer-reviewed and evolving entity makes Wikipedia a rather different thing, but as stated the Mountbatten stuff has been there for ages, will have been endlessly cross-referenced and is now established fact. I’ve cited it here at times, maybe even on this thread. It is a whole different thing making accusations against the (then) living e.g. the way Tom Watson did over Leon Brittan. That takes ‘Parliamentary Privilege’ to evade libel!

Interesting that the Kincora Boys Home is mentioned. It has been well known as a procurement centre for abuse of young boys run by government for years, that is, well known if you read Private Eye, so not well known nearly enough

It was certainly mentioned along with Elm Guest House and Dolphin Sq in the whole ‘Westminster pedophile’/‘Operation Midland’ thing that has since been discredited. I suspect legitimate some stuff was quietly brushed under the establishment carpet due to the whole ‘Nick’ thing. I don’t think there was ever much question about Mountbatten though. That has been public knowledge pretty much forever as far as I can remember. It just isn’t news, though if some of his victims are able to find closure by taking action or publishing testimony now then good on them.

PS Here’s the Kincora Boys Home Wikipedia entry.

advertisement

Back