advertisement

King Charles III

Harry Hewitt trips off the tongue better than Henry Hewitt, I feel.

Actually, I hope JH is the father (I know the timing is probably out) as he'd have better quality blood in his veins. I like him.

One of the truly bizarre things to come out of this whole thing is seeing reality TV teen-pop irritants ‘Jedward’ taking a remarkably intelligent and nuanced line on politics, monarchy, Ireland etc etc. The anti-Right Said Fred. Rather than link to a specific posts I’ll just link to their whole Twitter account, just keep scrolling. Lots of stuff I really can’t disagree with at all. Once reality TV starts genuinely talking more sense than our actual political opposition it is impossible to deny we have a problem. As indicators of a collapsing society go this has to be pretty significant.

PS Jedward FFS!

I live only 5 miles from the palace and tbh ive not seen any wailing in the streets around here either. Though i m sure there's much respect for a well loved queen.
It is Hampstead though so perhaps the chattering classes are waiting there moment !

On an individual level all of this is pretty rational: public figures and companies are absolutely terrified of being monstered by the press for failing to shown enough rEspECt. But on a collective level that’s an obviously completely mental situation. The power of the press in this country - to terrorise, above all - is off the scale.

I live only 5 miles from the palace and tbh ive not seen any wailing in the streets around here either. Though i m sure there's much respect for a well loved queen.
It is Hampstead though so perhaps the chattering classes are waiting there moment !
Very few people actually GAF, that’s why. This is about disciplining public life and has almost nothing to do with the way ordinary people think or feel.

One of the truly bizarre things to come out of this whole thing is seeing reality TV teen-pop irritants ‘Jedward’ taking a remarkably intelligent and nuanced line on politics, monarchy, Ireland etc etc. The anti-Right Said Fred. Rather than link to a specific posts I’ll just link to their whole Twitter account, just keep scrolling. Lots of stuff I really can’t disagree with at all. Once reality TV starts genuinely talking more sense than our actual political opposition it is impossible to deny we have a problem. As indicators of a collapsing society go this has to be pretty significant.

PS Jedward FFS!
Yeah that is quite bizarre, but generally indicative of the collapse of social democracy as a bulwark against the excesses of unbridled, neoliberal capitalism. Marcus Rashford has been a significantly more effective campaigner against child poverty than the Labour Party. And the mens’ English football team took a much more aggressive stance against racism than Starmer.

The words rang out from the Tannoy atop the golf Buggy, painted a sombre black for the occasion...

"....hoi polloi...Remain in your Lodges!...Remain in your Lodges!"

20 minutes later, Puffa jacketed North Face rebels were pushing prams and walking dogs on sanitized woodland trails...

A crackle of a walkie talkie cut through the air... "Center parks has fallen...repeat...Center parks has fallen!..."

Finnegan didn’t mention ‘meddling by politicians’. Why do you insist on misquoting people to make personal comments about the poster rather than engaging with anything actually said?

oh dear, the entire thrust of Finnegans post was that the Tories are supposed to stand for little government, freedom of the individual etc and yet in the case of the Queens death the evidence would point to them doing the opposite eg authoritarianism etc.

I was merely pointing out to Finnegan that the procedures for the death of the monarch were established years ago rather than being made by the present government.

So in summary, I had engaged with the subject matter and certainly had not said anything derogatory about the poster.

I was going to let it slide last night in light of another Chelsea defeat and I thought you might be a bit grumpy but then I thought hey the truth needs to come out.

Did our new King bestow grace and favour upon all his long serving and loyal staff?
Did he fcuk, they were issued with redundancy notices right before poor Liz was taking a trip down the A40. What a c**t.

Consent manufacturing machine goes brrrrr...

FchdqZjXwAEta3s

Personally, I find the idea of being a "subject" of the crown deeply insulting.
The very idea that the King's subjects get to express an opinion on the hereditary monarch's suitability for the job is also amusing.

Whether Operation Bridge was drafted last month or last century is of no relevance. The fact remains that the Tories are indeed supposed to stand for small government, freedom of the individual and a distaste for lockdowns on the basis that they harm the economy.

Yet here we are in a situation where the small business persons they claim to be the champions of, are suffering yet more agony through lost revenue- like the catering company who catered for three hundred persons only to see the Hackney carnival cancelled. Or those on a pretty much hand to mouth existence who derive their livelihood from catering at football matches by way of burger vans etc.

Would a Labour government have acted any differently? Absolutely not. But perhaps the Tories should amend their mantra to

“We are the party of small government, individual liberty and the champions of small business- until and unless an opportunity presents itself whereby we can deflect from the gross inequalities caused by our policies through complicity with a brand of ceremonial pomp to which Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast pales by comparison.

We will also enact legislation that emboldens the police to target dissent from national grieving, especially protestors who carry blanks signs. P.S. we’re nothing like Putin’s Russia or Kim Jong-un‘s North Korea.”

Whether Operation Bridge was drafted last month or last century is of no relevance. The fact remains that the Tories are indeed supposed to stand for small government, freedom of the individual and a distaste for lockdowns on the basis that they harm the economy.

Yet here we are in a situation where the small business persons they claim to be the champions of, are suffering yet more agony through lost revenue- like the catering company who catered for three hundred persons only to see the Hackney carnival cancelled. Or those on a pretty much hand to mouth existence who derive their livelihood from catering at football matches by way of burger vans etc.

Would a Labour government have acted any differently? Absolutely not. But perhaps the Tories should amend their mantra to

“We are the party of small government, individual liberty and the champions of small business- until and unless an opportunity presents itself whereby we can deflect from the gross inequalities caused by our policies through complicity with a brand of ceremonial pomp to which Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast pales by comparison.

We will also enact legislation that emboldens the police to target dissent from national grieving, especially protestors who carry blanks signs. P.S. we’re nothing like Putin’s Russia or Kim Jong-un‘s North Korea.”

I am aware of the ambiguities and paradoxes inherent between the the state's response to the Queens death and the political and economic ideology of the current government but like I said the plans were put in place years ago.

I am delighted to say that I have just booked a plasterer for Monday morning. He wants to work, I want him to. Happy days.

I feel for those who would like to work but cannot. My wife is having to put in extra hours as a freelance to make up for lost earnings on Monday. She's comparatively lucky as she is able to do so. Others will just lose a day's pay for this whether they want it or not.

The economy is going down the sh1tter but these cretins don't seem to give a monkey's. Why couldn't this funeral have taken place on the weekend?

I am delighted to say that I have just booked a plasterer for Monday morning. He wants to work, I want him to. Happy days.

I feel for those who would like to work but cannot. My wife is having to put in extra hours as a freelance to make up for lost earnings on Monday. She's comparatively lucky as she is able to do so. Others will just lose a day's pay for this whether they want it or not.

The economy is going down the sh1tter but these cretins don't seem to give a monkey's. Why couldn't this funeral have taken place on the weekend?

One of my nieces is a physiotherapist. She has been told not to work on Monday, thus putting eight patients, who have been waiting months for treatment, back in the queue.

Would the Queen have wanted/expected this sort of thing to happen?

One of my nieces is a physiotherapist. She has been told not to work on Monday, thus putting eight patients, who have been waiting months for treatment, back in the queue.

Would the Queen have wanted/expected this sort of thing to happen?
Probably? It seems she genuinely did consider herself appointed by God and it follows that she’d consider her death to be of fairly monumental significance.

advertisement

Back