advertisement

King Charles III

What an establishment stooge...

"Labour MPs have been warned not to share messages on social media or speak to journalists apart from to pay tribute to the Queen during the period of national mourning. ... “You should not do any media, except for your own tribute to local outlets.” " https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ut-talking-to-media-except-for-queen-tributes

In terms of Sir Keir's social media tribute, there is none more solemn and none more black. None. His new profile photo:

Fowr9TYM_400x400.jpg

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer

Correct, however the mods have tried to keep the queenie RIP thread clearer of the noise of the disaffected. This thread has been identified as one you can (within the AUP) vent your visceral organ of choice.

I watched the announcement of death and about 10 mins after that; nothing since. I will watch the funeral, or at least the main bits as my MIL who lives with us is a fan (of funerals I suspect rather than the queen) and the brother in law avec family will also come round so I guess we are having a funeral party.

Once this is all over normal service will resume and we can get back to shouting at the sky again about our trusses or whatever we were talking about before
I just find it odd people find it ok to poke ridicule at the bereaved when it's someone of prominence yet would find this kind of behaviour abhorrent if aimed at someone on their own site. It just puzzles me, that's all.

"Labour MPs have been warned not to share messages on social media or speak to journalists apart from to pay tribute to the Queen during the period of national mourning. ... “You should not do any media, except for your own tribute to local outlets.” " https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ut-talking-to-media-except-for-queen-tributes

In terms of Sir Keir's social media tribute, there is none more solemn and none more black. None. His new profile photo:

Fowr9TYM_400x400.jpg

That's the best likeness of Starmer I've seen. A moral and intellectual void.

Fowr9TYM_400x400.jpg

he has to do this kind of stuff. Remember, he is trying to win over disaffected Tory voters.

Fowr9TYM_400x400.jpg

A catastrophic PR error. With such poor illumination how are we expected to see how many flags he has. Are two still enough? Four? Sixteen? One hundred and eighty seven? Who knows?! He is expected to show leadership at this troubling time FFS! Even in total darkness Labour sits on a fence…

If we were discussing the death of a loved one from pfm the tone would be markedly different

Precisely, we are discussing the wildly overblown reaction to the death of someone none of us had a personal relationship with, ever met (I mean properly met with), or had any commonality with our lives. You may object to the critical, even irreverent, tone, that is your prerogative. Whilst I can appreciate that the monarch was held very highly in some estimations, many of us find the need to engage in exaggerated projection of private grief onto a public figure quite bizarre.

I just find it odd people find it ok to poke ridicule at the bereaved when it's someone of prominence yet would find this kind of behaviour abhorrent if aimed at someone on their own site. It just puzzles me, that's all.

There is really a whole world of difference between (as you put it) someone on their own site experiencing bereavement and the demise of a (very old) lady who was the literal epicentre of a massive and complex hierarchical con-trick that has endured for several centuries due to the complicity of a significant hoard of hangers-on who have promoted the illusion for the sake of their own considerable fortunes and power.

Add to that, the burgeoning weight of a media industry that has for, the most part, decided to plump 100% for pomp and glory and thrown most its journalistic integrity as far out the window as it can manage in the hope no one can see its pants firmly around its ankles while it shits on us from a great height.....

Very little of the criticism (or sarcasm) is aimed at the poor old lady in question - just the the vast mechanical circus that she had the great good fortune to be a significant cog in .....

Get it now?

Corbyn may have been expressing his distaste for the way that "Remembrance" changed from being an expression of our deep desire never to kill so many of our young men ever again by sending them into battle, into a "Celebration of national spirit" (David Cameron) and glorification of war. It actually takes a lot of courage and grit to do what Corbyn did. To take a stand against orthodoxy. To care about reality, rather than fantasy, To suffer opprobrium from those who always conform.

Would you guess that more, or less, human suffering has been caused historically by dissent or by blind obedience to authority? Did you know that our WW1 memorials to the dead, in every village, were originally called "Peace Memorials"

This, below from some other "Trots/Anarchists" (Corbyn among them) from stopwar.org:

"Next year marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the first world war. Far from being a "war to end all wars" or a "victory for democracy", this was a military disaster and a human catastrophe.

We are disturbed, therefore, that David Cameron plans to spend £55m on a "truly national commemoration" to mark this anniversary. Mr Cameron quite inappropriately compared these events to the "diamond jubilee celebrations" and stated that their aim will be to stress our "national spirit". That they will be run at least in part by former generals and ex-defence secretaries reveals just how misconceived these plans are.

Instead we believe it is important to remember that this was a war that was driven by big powers' competition for influence around the globe, and caused a degree of suffering all too clear in the statistical record of 16 million people dead and 20 million wounded.

In 2014, we and others across the world will be organising cultural, political and educational activities to mark the courage of many involved in the war but also to remember the almost unimaginable devastation caused. In a time of international tension, we call on all those who agree with us to join us – by adding their names to ours at ww1.stopwar.org.uk – to ensure that this anniversary is used to promote peace and international co-operation.
Jude Law, Michael Morpurgo, Antony Gormley, Patrick Stewart, Carol Ann Duffy, Vanessa Redgrave, Simon Callow, Brian Eno, Lindsey German, Jeremy Corbyn MP, Tony Benn, Timothy West, Dominic Cooke, AL Kennedy, Janie Dee, Neil Faulkner, Heathcote Williams, Dame Harriet Walter, Tim Pigott-Smith, Roger Lloyd Pack, Alan Rickman, Ken Loach, Ralph Steadman, Ken Livingstone, Rob Montgomery, Duncan Heining, Chris Nineham, Kate Hudson, Jan Woolf, Peter Kennard, Andy de la Tour, Evan Parker, Robert Wyatt, Colin Towns, Chris Searle, Neil Yates, Steve Berry, Leo Aylen, Danny Thompson, Terry Jones, Kika Markham, Susan Wooldridge, Tony Haynes, Mike Dibb, Nic France, Leon Rosselson, Barry Miles, Liane Aukin, Alistair Beaton"

Unfortunately ‘stopwar’ didn’t work too well.
It’s all a bit disrespectful for me so I’ll not fan flames and leave folks to dis away.

If she’d popped her cork and the reaction had been “oh dear, how sad, seemed like a nice old sort. Regardless of my own opinion of her and the monarchy, she was still a mother and a grandmother so I express my sympathy to her family,” and, “in a change to the scheduled programme, we now present special hour long tribute,” I doubt even Dave Spart would have had a problem with that.

I’m finding El Pais amusing (which I attempt to read a few words of for my Spanish learning) with their translation of names into (la Reina) Isabel II and (El Rey) Carlos III, when I first saw it earlier in the week I thought Santana was rocking up on the 19th to play a tribute concert.

It makes me wonder what the names appear as in other languages, not that I’m tempting this thread to come up with new ones for our sovereign Carlos!

But that's not the end of the story. I think it's a safe bet that, among that 60%, a relatively small number are fervent monarchists - people who would (for example), queue for 30 hours to see the Queen lying in state.

Having recently heard that there will apparently be a BBC live-cam for the 'tributees', I fear that the total of people who sincerely want to pay their respect might be artificially inflated by those who just want their moment to be seen on TV.

I sincerely hope that it was just an unfounded internet rumour .... o_O

In accordance with her royal wishes, Her Majesty will be buried in the Currys car park on the Old Kent Road. I believe it was her most favourite place.
Ah so that's why all the outta town retail park stores are closed, so as to divert attention from Curry's Old Kent Road?
Will Liz ever be found like Richard the third?

If Henry Windsor is known as Harry why is William Windsor not known as Bill? King Bill sounds good to me.

Well, we Northern Irish have King Billy:
450px-William_III_at_the_Battle_of_the_Boyne.jpg

Willem, Stadtholder of the Netherlands, who became William III (and, no, the horse at the Boyne wasn't white). And William IV, immediate predecessor of Victoria, was known as "silly Billy". (He had no legitimate children, so the crown passed to Victoria, who was his niece).

When I was perhaps 12-13 we used to go to Anfield for the match and walk through Everton Valley. There was lots of King Billy graffiti and I thought he must be a tough local with a paint brush!!!
One our local pubs ( when I was growing up), The Green Lodge used to have a sign outside comenerating him and the troops passing through Hoyalke on the way to Ireland. It has disappeared.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back