advertisement

Kind of Blue

Juno Records has eighteen versions on lp. I'd be tempted by the Sony version on blue vinyl :cool:

(no connection with Juno apart from being a satisfied customer)

I brought a fairly expensive supposedly '180g audiophile copy' of Joni Mitchell's Blue on blue vinyl even though I had two original pressings. Made me see Red it was so terrible. :mad:

I found a copy of KOB on one of my hard drives late last night. (SACD 2007 Japanese Remaster 24-88.
No idea who gave it to me. I'll give it an airing later tonight on my Squeezebox. Just this minute found a copy of the 1997 Sony SBM CD too.
Totally forgot I even had it!

FWIW the current CD master and the 97 are subtly different, the 97 being a bit over-cooked/loud in parts, the current (available since the huge Complete Columbia Albums box) fixes this. Very little between them as they stem from the same high-res mastering session, but the differences are there and measurable.

If you're not bothered about the speed issue I would go on Discogs and look for a late 80s Dutch reissue in NM condition. They are not thought of as in any way collectable, so prices are low, but they are pretty good. They are much brighter than the Classic Records cut, which sounds very nice indeed with the horns, but rolls off Miles a bit. Don't bother with cheap stuff like D'Agostini (and yes I did buy a copy since I was curious). The MoFi 2 x 45 is excellent but I quite understand the OPs desire for a single LP.

I have the SBM gold CD remaster in "LongBox" packaging which I bought in the US when it came out (at the time of release UK audio industry journalist Barry Fox said this was the best commercially available small jazz group recording) and the recent D'Agostini vinyl release which as others have said was a bargain - both sound fine to me and are running at the correct speed and with correct track name listing, unlike earlier CD and vinyl releases prior to the SBM CD.

Mind you the standard CD copy I have in the Sony Music 2010 "The Perfect Jazz Collection - 25 Original Albums" Boxset also sounds acceptable to my ears though I rarely, if ever, play it on the main system. I also have the "The Kind of Blue Sessions '59" unofficial release from Birdland records (vinyl comes with CD copy) - of interest to a Miles collector or jazz historian only and not recommended for audio quality.

Anyone heard the Columbia/Legacy Boxset 88697335522 version (2xCD + blue LP + DVD) released for the 50th anniversary? This is on my Discogs wishlist...

The speed issue really is utterly insignificant unless you are blessed with perfect pitch (which I’m not). I have both on the Classic 2xLP and I’d never be able to tell you which is playing!

This is a strange thing... according to Juno Records

CBS single album timings....

So What.................. 9.05
Freddie Freeloader......9.43
Blue in Green............5.32
All Blues.................. 11.29
Flamenco Sketches.... 9.21

Mobile Fidelity 2x vinyl timings..

So What...................12.41
Freddie Freeloader..... 13.13
Blue in Green........... 7.39
All Blues.................. 15.44
Flamenco Scetches..... 12.46

? ? ?

Thank you everyone for contributing btw... much appreciated.

As an aside Juno Records should be a bit ashamed of themselves with their 18 different version....more than half of them are copyright dodging near piracy version.

? ? ?

That makes no sense at all! They aren’t playing a 45rpm copy at 33 are they?!

? ? ?

That has given me a great mental picture of a bloke at Mobile Fidelity with a stopwatch having been told to get timings. ‘Thank God that dirge is over!’ he muttered at the end, not having been told it was a 45 rpm pressing.

Ah, Tony got there first...

I have the classic records two disc set, I bought it when it came out & it wasn't big money, £30-50 I think? I rarely listen to the speed corrected version as I prefer to just flip the record over. I agree with Tony re the speed correction. It is just such a brilliant, timeless record, I have probably listened to this record more than any other GOAT contender. I only found out my copy was valuable form a comment by Tony, I have no interest in collecting vinyl as an investment, just buy what I like when I can.

And at £150 I will have to give it a miss.

Although my collection is listed on discogs, I had no idea of its current value. Think I paid around £35 for it when I imported it. The value of what I like and will keep is irrelevant to me, only when I sell/buy do I research a price.

Bloss

This copy is remastered at Kevin Gray's Cohearant studio is a bit of a 'sleeper' excellent quality picked mine up for about £20
Miles Davis ‎– Kind Of Blue

Label:
Columbia ‎– 88697680571, Legacy ‎– 88697680571
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
US
Released:

I also have a 70's CBS copy which is pretty good but the best copy I own though not of interest to you is the Mofi 2x45 rpm.

Reactions: Joe

advertisement

Back