1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Kii Audio Kii Three Active speakers - Pair in Custom Matt Silver (RRP £11,995)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by jamington2004, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

I am sure everyone checks eBay but just in case thought I would list on here :)

Incredible speakers - just not aesthetically right for our decor, and sound isn’t absolutely everything

£6.5k - would prefer collection but could post to a well established member as have all the factory packaging / outer shipping boxes they came to me in. Could also meet up some where up to a couple of hours from Hove.

All deets on here https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/124020769920

let me know if any questions

kind regards
    Jamie

2. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Fantastic speakers. If these were white they’d probably be in my living room now!

Good luck with the sale.

3. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

White Schmite!!! ;)

Cheers for the kind bump

4. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Bump. 50 watchers on eBay but they all seem to be of the voyeur type....

Which I suppose is the direct translation of watcher!

Maybe I should start a new thread on “why don’t we call voyeurs - watchers? Hmmmmm

5. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Gosh, tempting as I’m not far away from you. Still a lot of £££ though!

6. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Very true. It’s all relative I guess :)

Depending how far you could pop for a listen?

Be warned though - after you hear them you won’t sleep again until they are yours!! ;)

7. kneesup

kneesup pfm Member

Hang on. Just think of the savings. No power amps (say £2000), nor footers (£1000 for Stillpoints) nor platforms (another £500) nor lengthy speaker cables... (£1000 a meter for something worth having). To say nothing of saved rack space....

A few basic calcs means you save ... about £6500 in buying these.

Which makes them essentially free.

Snip.

And exceptionally good by reputation. Incidentally.

omers and jamington2004 like this.
  8. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Ummm....? ^

OP, very nice speakers, GLWS.

jamington2004 likes this.
  9. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

No room treatment or room correction devices either due the cardioid dispersion, and boundary setting for the sub bass - so you are actually making money!!!

So in theory, I am actually paying you a couple of thou’ to take these off my hands....

10. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

I'll buy 50 pairs off you and retire early then :D

11. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I work in Brighton, live in Lower Beeding. I’d need to get aesthetics cleared with the wife first!

So to check, you definitely need a preamp? As I don’t currently have one, have a Weiss Dac202 and a Brinkmann Fein which plug into my Event Opals.,

12. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

@JezmondTutu Your DAC202 is a DAC/pre-amp, so you don’t need a pre-amp.

You may have the main out volume bypassed, so change that if you need to in the menus. There are also configurable gain options, so chose the one that gives you the best control range.

13. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Ha! I know what the sign off situation is like. I really want to try floorstanders again but since I freed up floor space for pretty tables and lamps and the likes there is no going back :)

Yeah you need something to control the volume basically - then output digital or analogue to the master speaker.

I settled on a Yamaha WXC50 after quite a bit of research - has a 24 bit digital volume control and you can stream to it with WiFi using the Music Cast App, or send Tidal / Spotify with Airplay and use their apps and the phones own volume control

Also has optical / coax inputs so I send my TV to it to which has no lip sync issues at all - which is amazing considering all the DSP. Maybe I’m just lucky - but there’s a button on the back to reduce delay if needed

And all for £250 it works a treat and sounds riddick :) https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-network-stereo-pre-amplifier.html

If you have a bigger budget the MiniDSP SHD studio is apparently popular as it has AES output - and loads of EQ / Room correction settings. All I have done is set the speaker to corner and can’t see what else I need to improve!

Or maybe just a traditional preamp with analogue out

The world is your lobster!

14. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

Or - see Whalueblue above for the shorter answer thanks!!! :) My Yamaha is the same - you can choose to have it as a straight through DAC/streamer - or set to Preamp mode to control volume

Looking at the price of your DAC I would say you could get rid - as the Kii has all that covered inside - just get something to send the digital signal direct, or Analogue without conversion :)

15. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I run the Dac202 as a preamp into the balanced outputs of the Opals, just trying to identify what I would need if I switched and what I could sell.

Whaleblue likes this.
  16. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Thanks for the replies, I’ll run it by the missus. She’s already rejected various speakers including my previous Shahinian Obelisks which she hated. But she’s not all bad as has just bought a 65” LG OLED!

17. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

You can do the same into the Kii - but I would say it’s a very expensive solution in the long run as the Kii can do all the DAC duty :)

The M2tech Joplin mk2 is an amazing piece of kit for the ADC duty with digital phono stage as well - I used one in the past with Devialet digital input Phantom Speakers. (Basis TT with SMEV)

(Wow that’s a big TV!)

18. jamington2004

jamington2004 pfm Member

I am assuming in all this that you know about the Kii Control unit? Not cheap at £1500 but it is pretty cool https://www.kiiaudio.com/kii_control.php

You would just need the ADC to send your phonostage into it, alongside any digital sources - then out to the Kii

You also then get to play with some extra EQ / Other settings like Lip Sync, directly inside the Kii as well.

19. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Thanks. It’s starting to get expensive to have the right solution for me. The Yamaha looks great but I think a weak link if running into Kii’s.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  20. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

The Kii Control is useful, everything just plugs into it, including the tv, all the speakers parameters are controlled from it, soon there will be new firmware allowing you to ‘Bluetooth’ music directly also include is parametric EQ which will a really useful addition despite the Kiis cardioid, boundary filtering etc.
    Keith