Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kia? Really??

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Hook, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Jaguar have factories in the UK but they are hopeless. I would never buy a Jag.

topa and Seeker_UK like this.
  2. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Our Jag is made in Austria.

I believe Chartz is French so he doesn't really have a great choice as far as cars go!

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

Until very recently, I wouldn't have bought another French car (I speak as a long-term admirer of Citroen) as there was nothing that appealed in any of the ranges (I can't afford/justify an Alpine A110 :( ). The French loyalty to their home brewed brands does, I suspect, create a slight disincentive for those brands to produce product that the rest of the world will covet.

4. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

And what about all the component parts of the car? Do you discount anything with Bosch components or Chinese semiconductors?

5. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

I have had a Sorrento for 8 years and it has been utterly faultless over the 115,000 miles we have done - not even a new exhaust.

6. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

Is that a Sorento (sic)?

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

Probbably

8. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

Don't you start

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  9. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Peddant!

robs, Dozey and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

indeed :D Do the French assemblers actually make their own electronics? boards, chips connectors?

cars are assembled from a kit of parts that arrives from all over the world - so maybe assembled in France (after that boozy red wine lunch)

11. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Daughter has the i3 and came up to Essex from London a few weeks ago. Hoped for a charge on the way but three points were broken.

Just about managed to get the car charged enough to get home here but it took time she didn't really have.

Long journeys we're very strict but i sleep well as a passenger so we pull into a layby and swap. That way you also avoid having to buy overpriced garbage and can take a decent picnic.

Sometimes i have to stop for a sleep after 50 miles, sometimes 400.

12. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Plenty to choose from on the contrary!

13. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I literally cannot remember ever changing an exhaust on any car we have owned or driven since the early 1980s. Even my old Datsun Cherry, been in 3 big crashes and rebuilt, was still on its original exhaust at 180K miles. I had a 180K Audi 80 (N reg), also never changed exhaust

But back when we were driving cars from the 1970s... we seemed to be in there quite a lot.

Quite a few of the new electric and hydrid cars arriving now are looking great - at least from the outside. That Hyundai looks lovely.... Sadly I cannot access an electric car until I pony up £16K to get electricity fitted into my garage, which is 100yds down the road from my house. I guess I will get there one day. A fully electric would be a fully usable option for both of us right now - so long as one of them was SUV style to get rubbish to the tip and kids to and from Uni.

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

but are ALL the parts made there? are the choices any good?

15. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I think he means quality

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Had a Violet (I think it was) in the early eighties. Lovely car. Around that time there was a large explosion at the factory and for hours afterwards it was raining Datsun cogs.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  17. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

It’s only a matter of time before the Nissan Main Dealer joke makes an appearance

18. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

To me yes. I hate cars and driving anyway, they are a necessity that’s all.
    But I will always buy French cars, even if I have to admit that German cars are probably better quality wise. I just hate ‘em and see no real reason to buy anything from abroad. I don’t want to support the German or the Korean economies. No way.
    Not all the parts are made in France of course. A lot is made in Spain I believe (gearboxes ?) but I have no problem with that.

19. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

`
    Yes. That's where all the manuel gearboxes come from. ;)

Rob998, Guinnless, Nero and 6 others like this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Using Manuel Labor, no doubt.