advertisement

KFJC (radio station)

Nick_G

pfm Member
Does anyone else listen to this college/freeform station? It's based in Foothill College in Los Altos Hills in the San Francisco Bay area, and it's recently added an unprocessed 320 kb/s AAC stream here: http://netcast.kfjc.org/kfjc-320k-aac
Because it's not been fiddled with then it's a pretty transparent window into what's happening in the studio in that you can hear the levels on the mixing desk being changed, or the differences in loudness and quality on recordings etc. However, through the DAC in the JVC amp I use it just sounds real, and not like radio. For me, the range of music played is much more interesting than the likes of Radio Paradise (well, maybe apart from the metal shows lol). You'll hear just about anything on here be it rock, blues, psychedelia, folk, Americana, minimalism, electronica (including techno, house, electro, ambient etc), weird noises, film soundtracks, lounge, exotica, world music, classical, the aforementioned metal etc etc. You get the idea. And all in beautiful high quality sound.

Right now they are playing loungey/film soundtrack-type music.

It's certainly worth adding to your streaming favourites IMO.

Thank you, I will certainly add this to my stream list (along with my recent discovery of Sector radio from Russia - uncompressed flac streams).

They're currently playing a really old episode of 'Just a Minute', maybe even the first one. Nice to hear as a tribute to Nicholas Parsons!

Will have a listen, thanks.
Your list of genres looks pretty similar to RP, plus RP is in full fat FLAC,so a significant improvement on compressed 320

Nope.....cd quality lossless flac files when I listen using Roon.

I’m not too technically minded so if I’m not explaining it very well, perhaps somebody else can help you get the hires transmission?

Cheers....Dave

I do have JB Radio 2 and Radio Paradise stored as favourites on the SBT, so I'll give them another go. From what I remember though, those two stations were more of an Adult Album Alternative format, rather than the freaky and weird variety you often hear on KFJC. JB Radio 2 also seemed to have some sort of processing as it was quite loud. KFJC sounds more natural as the full dynamic range is preserved, even if it does occasionally mean leaping to turn down the volume occasionally lol.

advertisement

Back