advertisement

Kenny G... is this guy human or a god ??????

645716482.jpg

Thanks Tony. That article has been around for a long time and Metheny’s opinions are well known and documented.
Many in the jazz world agree with him, including myself.

The clip I posted above is just one of many taking the piss out of Kenny G. ( I hope viewers here will watch at least 30 seconds to “get” the joke, and not just move on without watching) . It is not an advert for the G man !!!

However, the man is a multi millionaire, and one of , if not THE most well known sax players on the planet.
So, he may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he must be doing something right.
Makes me vomit though, so not for me.

Much better stuff:

Not for me, I’m afraid.

But I hear that they still go out as a duo. Mainly karaoke sessions in Somerset area.
Do quite a few weddings and corporate stuff. Always go down well. Famed for melodic nature of their work.

Thanks, I’m on iOS so immune to such things, but I’ve removed the link. Metheny’s rant is lengthy and highly amusing and well worth googling, it is quoted on many sites as it caused quite a stir, but now removed from his own.

Maybe he is to jazz what Andre Rieu is to classical music.
ie hugely successful & popular but with people who like the notion of jazz, but not the reality of it.
Or for people who like jazz only at the very lightest end of the spectrum, to be more diplomatic/ less snobby.

Every decade Metheny gags on all saccharine stuff he produces and barfs up a classic that horrifies most of his fan base — like Song-X or Zero Tolerance for Silence. That’s the time I buy into Pat. Waiting for another Zorrn collab.

Kenny G is now a Chuck-E-Cheese animatron* with leathered human skin stretched over his face and a curly mop wig. He can now never die. He is one of the gods.

* I know this will go over the heads of most Europeans reading this

Last edited:
While Metheny's well documented love of Ornette is the only reason he has any place in my music collection, Kenny G doesn't even have that.

I saw him on the BBC (not on a music programme, of course) explaining and demonstrating his circular beathing which he explained let him hold a note for a long time. What musical imagination, what fearless exploration! Maybe he inspired Evan Parker that day.

Or maybe not.

Last edited:
There are thousands of sax players who can circular breathe. It’s just a technique, nothing special or difficult.

I cant think of many who use it in a musical way.
So, Ive never found a stream of notes, with no breaks,to be musical. And although I do like to I hear a note held for effect, I do like something musical to be happening to it.
ie louder /quieter, change of tone quality etc etc.
Who I wants to hear the same note held for 2 minutes, or 5 , or whatever?

I suppose if you choose a note carefully, it would free up the right hand, allowing you to wave to your fans, or get your hair brush out and attend to your perm, all the while delivering this musical masterpiece, which is absorbing you

I always think of it as en ego /“look at me” thing.

So, not for me.

Yes, circular breathing is just a technique, but actually it is quite difficult to achieve.

You sem to have maybe missed the sarcasm in reference to Kenng. And I suspect Evan Parker may not be your cup of tea. Parker's Monoceros takes the circular breathing technique probably to its outer limit.

advertisement

Back