advertisement

Kenny Burrell needs financial help

Good grief, that is awful. The guy is a legend and Midnight Blue one of the best jazz records ever made (he did tons of other great stuff too). So sad to read, I’ll stick something in the pot later.

Midnight Blue is one of my favourite albums. What an awful situation for a Jazz legend. Have made a donation as a thank you.

They’re within $10k of the total, which is pretty good for just over one day.

Well, at least that's good news. That's what will happen in this country if the Tory's have their way. It's hard to believe that such a big name in jazz circles would have to resort to asking for money; very sad indeed.

I chucked a few quid in the kitty as the guy really is a legend and I’m gutted to hear his later life is like this, but don’t quite understand how someone responsible for one of the greatest jazz albums ever recorded, Midnight Blue, has ended up in this situation. He is the credited writer for almost all the tracks, and that’s just one album of a huge career. I’d have thought/hoped one could live comfortably for a lifetime on such a work of genius.

PS Everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone, needs that album in their collection. Buy it immediately if you look under ‘bur’ in your collection and there is a gap there! I have it twice, on both vinyl and CD! Got a lot of his other stuff too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Can't believe people in their 80s have these worries, as if life wasn't hard enough already at that age with failing health.

[Midnight Blue] ...I have it twice, on both vinyl and CD! Got a lot of his other stuff too.

Yes, me too! I have the Blue Note Cadre Rouge DMM Audiophile edition (BST 84123) and the RVG edition on CD (7243 4 95335 2 3), that I picked up from pfm.

There’s an official 5 CD Blue Note Classic Albums box, every one of those is a good album, especially the two live ones, and the later CTI label God Bless the Child album is excellent too, but doesn’t seem to be in print for some inexplicable reason.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...one of the greatest jazz albums ever recorded, Midnight Blue...

Buy it immediately if you look under ‘bur’ in your collection and there is a gap there!
Under ‘bur’ you say...? Interesting - the Marchbanks filing algorithm dictates ‘adjacent to Complete Jack Johnson but at right angles, and next to Thelonious Alone in San Francisco.’ Still, each to his own.

46684212675_cef2947a63_b.jpg

As my copy cost me 50p from the local recycling centre’s hospice shop I feel duty bound to donate the rest of its value to the fund.

Stunsworth - huge thanks for flagging this up: I'd not have known about it if I hadn't read it here.

My dad was called Ken Burrell so I've always felt a connection, regardless of the fact that Midnight Blue is one of the best records I own - like Tony on CD and vinyl.

Reading Katherine's account breaks my heart. Every now and again it is good to be reminded how lucky we are to be in the UK despite the constant barrage of messages about the virtues of American style free enterprise and low taxation. I remember Roger Nichols launching a similar request a few years back. I was then, as now, astonished that, given the nature of the system, musicians and record labels don't look after their own.

That said, having a quick look down the list, great to see contributions from Village Vanguard donated and Pat Metheny amongst others. How sad, though, that his wife had to make the appeal.

My small contribution has been added to the fund.

Kevin (Burrell)

Statement from The Jazz Foundation (I scraped it from Steve Hoffman’s forum here) confirming the legitimacy of this campaign and updating the progress:

May 10, 2019

A STATEMENT FROM THE JAZZ FOUNDATION RE: KENNY BURRELL GOFUNDME CAMPAIGN

The Jazz Foundation has received many inquiries over the past 24 hours regarding the legitimacy of the GoFundMe campaign for Kenny Burrell.

We would like to assure anyone concerned about Kenny that this campaign was indeed created by Katherine on his behalf.

Musicians close to Kenny have been in touch with him directly to confirm his situation, and the Jazz Foundation has been in contact with Katherine for months.

We operate with the utmost respect for client privacy and confidentiality, but given the questions that have come up, Katherine has kindly given us permission to share this information.

Kenny and Katherine had been dealing with this situation alone for several years, because, as always, musicians are proud and self-reliant and do things on their own. They did not even contact us to ask for help but were referred by friends.

The Jazz Foundation assessed the case, conferred with other helping organizations, and reviewed documents attesting to the financial need described in the GoFundMe post.

We couldn't possibly cover the full scope of the need, and other sources of funding were explored, including a GoFundMe campaign, given how successful and lifesaving they have proven for fellow musicians.

As we can see in this outpouring of love for Kenny and Katherine, it has worked.

This is a painful but inspiring example of what we see every day at the Jazz Foundation.

Many of our legends do not have a partner at home to help them. As we see here, even when they do, the Jazz Foundation is needed to give emotional and financial support. This is why the organization exists, and we handle 30 emergency cases every day.

Katherine wished to share these words with everyone who has given their kindness and support over the last day:

“Thank you to everyone at the Jazz Foundation and those who have responded with loving thoughts, prayers, and generosity. Kenny and I are overwhelmed by the compassion, support, and love of both friends and people whom we do not know, but revere his music. Even simple acts of caring and prayer are deeply appreciated during this difficult time, but the generosity in others’ hearts is far beyond anything we could have imagined. The outpouring of love and support, as well as the words of admiration and respect he has received through the campaign have tremendously lifted his spirit and touched his heart. It is my greatest joy to see his expressions, including tears, as he realizes he is respected, cherished, and loved beyond his comprehension. It is a deeply moving and humbling experience, challenging though it may be to expose ourselves and ask for help. Our deepest and heartfelt gratitude for your support, love, and light."

We applaud Kenny and Katherine for the courage it took to share the details of their crisis. It has opened up a world of such goodness and generosity, which they so richly deserve.

Yours in service,
Joe Petrucelli Executive Director

Wendy Oxenhorn Founding Director
Alisa Hafkin Director of Social Services

Steve Jordan Artistic Director

this same thing happend to the great guitarist Walter Trout about 4 years ago, got the money made a full recovery and IMO, made some of his best and most potent music he has ever made afterwards, i guess you carn't sing the blues until you have starred death in the face,

I guess the sad truth is that very few musicians have gotten rich playing jazz.

advertisement

Back