Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Micallef’s jazz YouTube channel

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m sure we’ve a some mention of this channel in other threads, but he really deserves a thread of his own. Loads of great content e.g. he’s been record diving in the other Stereophile reviewers record collections and they all have real gold to be found:

Art Dudley

Michael Fremer

Full channel here. I’d love to go jazz record hunting in the USA, so much great stuff out there. By saying that I have a surprising amount of the albums the two above pulled out!

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I've been a subsciber for a while. Well worth a watch.

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

4. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Yes have been viewing it for some time as well. It's well worth watching, but he should put his reading glasses on when trying to decipher the record covers at times. :oops:

5. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Art Dudley, with his love of old idler drives and old Altec speakers, seems a wise soul.

6. davcoll

davcoll pfm Member

Many Thanks.

Dave

7. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

MF’s enthusiasm with Ellington’s Masterpieces is infectious, I feel the same way about Blues in Orbit (1959) and Historically Speaking (1956) - both tremendously joyful and brilliantly arranged albums. In fact the very cool title piece Blues in Orbit was a profound inspiration to a young Mike Westbrook.

Weekender likes this.
  8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Wildly - I just bought the Analogue Productions release of it. :rolleyes:

Nagraboy and Graham H like this.
  9. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

If you get to New York Tony, you'll love this place - https://www.jazzrecordcenter.com

10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I think Ken may work there, it features in several of his videos.

11. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

I've been there a few times now - 8th floor of an apartment building, not what you would really expect.

12. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I’m tempted - where have you ordered it from?

13. Lordhenley

Lordhenley pfm Member

One of my favourite channels he’s also got a FB group which is well worth a look some great stuff gets posted

14. Lordhenley

Lordhenley pfm Member

Forgot to add the Jazz Sheppard is also worth a watch for jazz fans

Weekender likes this.
  15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

An amazing record collection. It’s a real pity that he doesn’t get more views.

16. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

EBay...so not much help...

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Graham H likes this.
  18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

There's a 1969 NM- copy on Discogs for £12 or a VG+ copy from 1954 for a tenner.

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Well I missed those.

20. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Thanks chaps. I’m going to try and source an AP version from a UK seller. Could take some time given the current state of affairs.