1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Ishiwata RIP

Discussion in 'audio' started by Brown Bottle, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM.

1. Just received a Face Book notification that he's died. One of the biggest names in Hi-Fi whilst I've had an interest in it. RIP Ken.

BB

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if illness figured in his step down from Marantz?

3. Marra

Marra pfm Member

Sad news indeed.

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

A legend gone. Sad news.

5. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Had a short chat with him at a show once, I remember him being pleasant and enthusiastic. RIP Ken.

6. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

That’s a real shame, RIP to a HIFI legend!

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Some citation here on AVForums. Very sad news indeed, I owned a Marantz CD17KI for a while and it was a nice machine. RIP.

8. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

That's sad. I had CD 63se K1 sig for a time, before passing it onto my dad. It was my first grown up CD player and was a nice piece of kit.

RIP

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

RIP Ken. His tweaked CD players were very good back in the 90s.

10. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

RIP, I also chatted to him at a couple of shows and he seemed really humble and happy to talk.

11. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

RIP Ken. And thanks for the filthy look when I was smoking a fag outside the Bristol Show 9 years ago.

Alfie and deebster like this.
  12. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Yes I had one in black, gorgeous machine with superb build quality, but I also had a Roksan Caspian M1 and a Linn Ikemi at the same time, I only needed the one player. The Linn was the best fit for my system. I do miss the Marantz!

Gaycha likes this.
  13. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Always remember the look on Ken’s face when my Dad nearly knocked over one of the Wilson Benesch rear speakers with his backpack in the Marantz 5.1 demo room at the Whittlebury Show. Afterwards, we did have a lovely chat about Marantz and my Nagra system at the time. Sad news indeed.

14. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

A true master of his craft.....R.I.P.

15. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Which multinational conglomerate presently owns Marantz?

16. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Phillips I thought, or not any more?

18. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

I guess not for the last 10 years at least. Marantz merged with Denon, and became D&M Holdiongs, that then was taken over by Sound United.

19. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Industry legend indeed - RIP

20. Steve S

Steve S pfm Member

RIP Ken.

I'm using a modded 63se KI sig, owned it for 15+ years and still love it.