advertisement

Ken Bruce quitting Radio 2

I won’t miss him but the replacements they bring out are often worse. R2 gone badly downhill…… winkelman, Paige, that old Liverpudlian’s daughter, Rylan……all shockingly bad

Thank goodness for Sara Cox, Jo Whiley (her music not herself) , Dermot isn’t too bad…

Bob Harris stood in for Johnnie on Sounds of the 70s yesterday, so he is still around. He seemed to enjoy himself mainly, apart from when he played Abba. Poor guy, I don't think Abba were ever on Whistle Test. Trevor Nelson on R2 just now, so not everything has gone down the toilet just yet.

Not so…… there is the legend that is Tony Blackburn…….
Yes that’s true. Always loved the John Peel anecdote when he met Tony Blackburn at a party when Peel was a bit pissed. He sidled up and asked him “Remember when you used to play The Temptations, Aretha Franklin and Sam Cooke, and I used to play Gentle Giant and The Third Ear Band? Well… you were right and I was wrong” :D:D:D

Bob Harris stood in for Johnnie on Sounds of the 70s yesterday, so he is still around. He seemed to enjoy himself mainly, apart from when he played Abba. Poor guy, I don't think Abba were ever on Whistle Test. Trevor Nelson on R2 just now, so not everything has gone down the toilet just yet.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the superb sound quality on DAB as Bob sits in for JW? He broadcasts from his home studio, not sure if that would make any difference

I agree re Trevor Nelson.
As for Scott Mills...................

Only listen to 6 Music now and tends to be only Cerys on Sunday , Huey on Saturday and the Funk and Soul Show Saturday night . Radio Paradise is far better and even the sound quality is better . Not sure how that happens an Internet Station funded by donations can broadcast worldwide better quality than the public funded broadcast company ? How hard can it be for the BBC to develop and use FLAC quality streams ?

I signed up for the premium subscription three month trial on Jazz FM which, curiously enough, isn’t on FM radio but for £3.99 a month it’s excellent, no adverts and great music.

Bruce owns the rights to Popmaster and is taking it with him. Good for him.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ken-bruce...h_Warkh5ZRnZgK8McVsiPS7bLCZUlaKyuCbdesHrsyv0t

We have no reason to listen to BBC radio 2 now, only tuning in now and again for Popmaster when travelling.
Radio 4 has lost our interest as well - apart from The Wife has a long time relationship with The Archers. I cannot abide it.

Currently I enjoy Henry Bonsu on Times radio. His delivery is sharp, and he has a sense if humour.

I gave up Radio 2 about 15 years ago.
Never listed during the day, but some evening programmes were excellent.

As for Radio 4, I still listen, but not The Archers anymore.

Everyone can rest easy now, Ken who? It's the Vernon Kay Show!!

Cheers BB

Could be okay.. difficult boots to fill. R2 won’t be the same without pop master :(

Sadly we have to endure Gary Davis for a while until Vernon’s had his manicure, pedicure and Caribbean holiday.

Radio 2? Now I see why this isn't in the music forum. ; )

Seriously though, I hope all you Radio 2 fans continue to enjoy your listening. Whilst most of are a bit sniffy about what music we like, the fact that you like music is all that matters. Enjoy.

I gave up Radio 2 about 15 years ago.
Never listed during the day, but some evening programmes were excellent.

As for Radio 4, I still listen, but not The Archers anymore.

Radio 2 evenings were great when Radcliffe and McConie were on, usually followed by something decent afterwards. Mark Lamar’s was excellent.

Cheers BB

KB tweeted a few hours ago that he was all set to fulfil his contract until the end of March, but the BBC wants him to leave earlier.

Last show next Friday.

Not on a public forum, no, but it's not difficult to hear the sneakiness of the guy.

Anything to with him being a secret Rangers fan.

...or something more sinister?

Bruce is known to play Ranger's song "Simply The Best" (Tina Turner) when the Gers have a good win etc.

advertisement

Back