advertisement

Keith Monks Queries ?

jackal2513

pfm Member
guys, couple of quickies:

1. is there any merit in making the application brush scrape down onto the vinyl quite hard or is it really just for getting the liquid on ?

2. if anwser to 1. is yes then how long do you leave the record spinning under the brush

3. do you then switch the brush off and leave the record to 'soak' or do you go straight to vac

No reason to scrape, the wetting agent in the solution should ensure it gets into the grooves. The longer you can leave it to soak the better.

According to the instructions on the bottle of Kieth Monks Discovery 33/45 the fluid should be left on the record for 10-15 seconds and

"....Our development work has kept cleaning times down to an absolute minimum. No additional cleaning benefits are usually found by leaving fluid on records for longer than recommended....."

Have a VPI, not a Keith Monks, but guess the application is similar. I've taken a few years to work out the best regimen using my DIY IPA mix.

Squeeze (through a polytop or simlarly small-nozzle bottle top) small droplets concentrically on the record whilst the platter is turning. I do one for the centre and another for the outer grooves (very approximately!). Wield the brush lightly to distribute this fluid (say, three turns or so).

Stop platter and lightly brush both ways manually, with the grooves, right round the record.

Soak for a few minutes (up to 5 or so depending on fluid or ambient temperature).

Rotate platter, holding and wielding the brush lightly at slightly different angles. for a few rev's. Vacuum and leave to fully dry (1 or 2 minutes).

advertisement

Back