advertisement

Keilidhs out ES11s in

NaimClontarf

pfm Member
Today I finally sold my 20year old Keilidhs and bought used ES11s to pair with my Nait 2. I was sad; bought the Keilidhs just before I got married on the basis that I would never afford anything like them after...
ES11s should arrive over the next week or so from UK; can't wait to hear what all the fuss is about; just need stands now

I've never heard the Keilidhs but I had es11's and a nait 2 for years. Cracking combo in my opinion, just great for listening to music, not hi-fi. Hope it's good for you.

Good decision! I bought Keilidhs on the strength of rave reviews, what a mistake!
ES 11s are great and 14s better. Look forward to your impressions.

You will need the proper stands and there is a pair in the classifieds for a good price.

One of my 'wow' moments came listening to ES11's when l was a budding audiofool, very nice loudspeaker- look cute too.:)

I had a pair of Keilidhs driven by Linn Majik integrated and LK100 power amp in 2003. I found the sound very smooth but lacked excitement. Then I moved on to Naim 82 180 which improved the drive and bass, but the soundstage was a bit two dimensional, lacking depth.

I also owned ES12 a few years ago and they were excellent with a few integrated amps I tried, including some Sugden, Exposure, Onix.

Hope you like your new Epos.

I agree they are much better on their dedicated stands.

I really like these speakers and still own a pair , preferring them to the ES14.

Took a pair of Shahinian Arcs to finally see them off after trying SBL and Shahinian Compass.

enjoy !

David

The title of the thread is a bit confussing as it suggests the opposite - that ES11s have been replaced by Keilidhs. I really like the ES11 (and used ES14s myself for many years), a friend has a pair driven by a Mk1 Nait and they sound excellent.

The joys of the iPad! I only owned them for 20 years (still have them) - not managed to spell them correctly yet though (now corrected) :).

The title of the thread is a bit confussing as it suggests the opposite - that ES11s have been replaced by Keilidhs. I really like the ES11 (and used ES14s myself for many years), a friend has a pair driven by a Mk1 Nait and they sound excellent.

When is "out" "in" and "in" "out"? I see your point...This could become rather Joycean..
The detail is in the devil...

The one thing Keilidhs do that you might miss is they shift air. Music with a heavy driving bass line really kicks. But there are only so many times you can play the Chemical Brothers 'out of control' ;)

The one thing Keilidhs do that you might miss is they shift air. Music with a heavy driving bass line really kicks. But there are only so many times you can play the Chemical Brothers 'out of control' ;)

Okay
ES 11s arrived: great condition; dark redwood matches my Hifi stand; excellent WAF excepting I have no stands and have to use the living room nest of tables..

No jumpers with them : went to three Maplins : Blanchardstown, Dublin & Dundalk to get the 8 new banana plugs which I connected my old linn K 20 speaker cables.

How do they sound against my kustoneless mesh tweetered Keilidhs?

Less solid
Less veiled
Younger???
Definitely less bassy but more PRATTY

The jury is out...

...excepting I have no stands and have to use the living room nest of tables.

Without the open frame stands you are not hearing ES11s at their best. No, bass won't shake the room, but it will be taut, solid and punchy. The mid range, imaging and timing will be spectacular :)

advertisement

Back