advertisement

Kef Speaker advice please....

spet0114

REMPI Member
Hi Folks,

I've just swapped my Wharfedale Lintons for some Kef Chorales. The KEF's have a much more expansive treble (even a little harsh on occasions) but a much more 'polite' bass. This doesn't really bother me, but a little more 'oomph' in that department would be nice.

So, any tips for getting a little more LF out of the ole' Chorales? They're currently on Atacama SE24 stands, about 3 inches from a back wall and slightly toed-in. The rest of the system is Kenwood KD650, AT-OC9, Nait-1 and a Pioneer TX9500. Incidently, Radio 3 on the Pioneer sounds fantastic.

Cheers!
Adrian

Kef Chorales have the infamous T27 tweeter as used in the BBC 3/5a and the 8" B200, both very good drivers, the bass response is probably only good to around 60Hz with these cabinets, from memory they are infinate baffle ?? I can't remember. the only thing that you could do for a quick LF lift is to place them right up against the rear wall, or by using the opposite wall to which the speakers are placed along, simply sit nearer to this wall, this will acoustically couple your head to the reflected sound from the speakers, try it and experiment with positioning the listening chair by moving it away form the rear wall, and listen to the bass become less prominent, or place the speakers in the corners of the room, but this may result in too much boom, experiment with room positioning is all you can do, I will look at the x-over tonight to determine if there is any way of altering this for a fuller bass response.

Hi Mr Studio,

Thanks for the advice, a little fiddling with the positioning has brought up the bass nicely!

I might also experiment with filling the stands with sand.

Cheers!
Adrian

Hi Adrian

Pleased to hear it ;) the SE24's will certainly benefit from a sand injection, the big traingular centre column rings like a bell otherwise, place 4 small balls (pea size) of Blu-Tak at each corner of the top plate and push the speakers down onto this, happy listening :)
Paul

advertisement

Back