advertisement

Kef reference series models 1-4

I've owned the 104/2 (couple of pairs) and currently own some reference series one. The chap I brought one of my 104/2 off had just upgraded to the reference model 4s. Can't remember the specifics of the differences but the one thing that amazed was just how big the model 4s were! And now he has ref 5s, even they make the model 4s look tiny!

Sadly this isn't much help since its been awhile since I've heard either of them. All I can say is the low end of the model 4s was totally a step up compared to the 104. But given the size differences its too be expected!

Cheers. I'm considering the reference 2 as it's less massive than the 3 or 4 (or 104.2 or 105.3), but still has dual bass drivers going down to 40hz and seems to go for a bit of a song.

I’ve had always hankering after one of the 1990s Reference Models. I bought a pair of the current Reference 1s unheard and they are a delight. The DC mid/tweeter certainly ameliorates my R-L hearing discrepancy and attendant imaging problems created by room reflections. They’re also sweet sounding- where I was expecting a contemporary etched HF presentation.

I had the ref 2.2s fantastic speakers in a fantastic finish, rosseta bur- beautiful. Always regretted selling them, but also hunkered after their bigger brothers. Not a deep speaker as I remember so easy to place.

I have 105.3's and an ex mate had ref 4's which I used to hear quite often. Ref 4 would likely be my choice for my next speaker. The systems, and even more so the rooms, were so different that all I can really say is both are superb but the ref 4 goes a long way further down in the bass. So low that I was amazed to find I was feeling the pressure waves from warps on vinyl!

That's the one thing I gathered was what made the chap switch from the 104/2 to the ref 4s was purely the bass. They just have such extension and just something special about them.

I do have a pair of ref 1s sat at my mother's place in need of a full UniQ unit that I probably should give to a good home eventually.

I’ve had always hankering after one of the 1990s Reference Models. I bought a pair of the current Reference 1s unheard and they are a delight. The DC mid/tweeter certainly ameliorates my R-L hearing discrepancy and attendant imaging problems created by room reflections. They’re also sweet sounding- where I was expecting a contemporary etched HF presentation.

I'd love to live a pair of 105/3 or 107/2 for a while . . .

I had the ref 2.2s fantastic speakers in a fantastic finish, rosseta bur- beautiful. Always regretted selling them, but also hunkered after their bigger brothers. Not a deep speaker as I remember so easy to place.

Yeah, the 2.2's are the ones I had in mind. A pair of decent stands for my 103.2's would be £180 and that's well on the way to a pair of these.

I have the the Reference 3.2's in cherry which replaced my Monitor Audio Studio 20's.

They could well be my last speakers unless we move somewhere smaller.

The finish is impeccable and they image well with a natural timbre and good bass.

They like a bit of current so would suit a good quality high power SS amp. I currently have a XTC POW1 which is 300 watts in to 4ohms.

I used a VTL ST85 but they were a bit bass light.

Don't buy them if you have cheap amplification.

105/3 have KEF's conjugate load matching and any amp will drive them just fine so long as it is happy with 4R. Even SET's if they have a 4R tap.

I would love a pair of reference 4’s, if anyone knows of a set lmk please! Then my Impulse would probably be retired.

I used to sell these at the time they were current and they’re all very, very good. They weren’t an easy load though and require lots of grunt to get the best from them. They’re quite revealing, too. Under-rated and often affordable.

I used to sell these at the time they were current and they’re all very, very good. They weren’t an easy load though and require lots of grunt to get the best from them. They’re quite revealing, too. Under-rated and often affordable.
I was under the impression that all these speakers were 4r and used conjugate load matching, meaning, as Jez says, any amp can drive them to quite high levels, but might get quite hot doing so or clip a tweeter out of existence if pushed a little too far.

A big Quad power, however, will drive them to phenomenal and clean SPLs.

I was under the impression that all these speakers were 4r and used conjugate load matching, meaning, as Jez says, any amp can drive them to quite high levels, but might get quite hot doing so or clip a tweeter out of existence if pushed a little too far.

A big Quad power, however, will drive them to phenomenal and clean SPLs.
I remember that many amps we had, Naim, Linn, Audiolab, Cyrus were OK on the Ref 1 and 2 but increasingly poor in the 3 and 4. Meridian and DV power amps though were brilliant matches. As for the conjugate loads, I can’t comment, other than, yes, they were 4 ohm loads. No reason why a big Quad wouldn’t be OK, although I haven’t heard one recently so can’t comment on its SQ.

The 3's and 4's need grunt as Pocketkitchen pointed out and quality.

I tried driving mine with a Technics SUA900, very well reviewed and a rival to the original Audiolab 8000A, and it ran out of puff very quickly. Sounded more like a transistor radio on AM.

The 3's and 4's need grunt as Pocketkitchen pointed out and quality.

I tried driving mine with a Technics SUA900, very well reviewed and a rival to the original Audiolab 8000A, and it ran out of puff very quickly. Sounded more like a transistor radio on AM.
Would a Quad QSP be man enough?

I always thought the current dumpers were quite robust and could drive low impedance speakers but I have never owned one so others might have a better idea.

advertisement

Back